NEC Spectraview or Multisync

Is the only difference between these two models that Spectraview comes with a

hardware color calibration device?

If so then would you say that this device is neccesary?

I'm not a pro, so I was wondering if I could do without the calibration device.

I might add though that I don't have any other color calibration devices.

Also, is it possible to buy this device seperately?

regards

Frímann

It depends. In the US, you can buy either with or without the SpectaView hardware and software. If bought without, you can buy the SpectraView hardware/software later. Not so in Europe. The monitors bought without the SpectraView kit right from the start seem to have been disabled to never work with SpectraView.

If you want good a good monitor-to-print match, then you are going to need some form of monitor calibration. The advantage of SpectraView is that it uses adjustments within the monitor instead of in the video card, so all levels in the video card remain available so there is less chance for posterization.

I have the (European) SpectraView 2090, which comes with software called "SpectraView Profiler". The monitor itself apparently acts as a 'dongle' over a digital connection to enable full use of this to set up the LUT in the monitor as well as generating a profile. It doesn't come with a calibration device, and I use the Monaco Optix XR (X-Rite DTP-94B). In the price range, these monitors seem to be currently as good as it gets, and I am very pleased with mine. I agree with the comments from Frans and Ellis.

• 4 months later...

I'm also in the process of acquiring an LCD to replace my aging Eizo CRT. I've narrowed my search down to the 2090Uxi. I think this display is very much the same as the SpectraView one, except for the calibration scheme. I'm planning on going on a really budget calibrator, the Pantone Huey.

But another thing I was thinking.. Is it possible to get the SV hood as an option with the 2090Uxi?

Regards,

Paavo

Paavo,

I don't know about the combination of a fine monitor like the 2090UXi and a Pantone huey! Seems to me the two extremes of the spectrum.

I seem to remember that NEC sells the hoods separately as an accessory, but at a steep price I think. Check out their website. I made my own hood from a piece of matte black mat board.