Help With Slide Film Questions

First off, what is the "emulsion side" of a slide?

Second, I went to get prints made from my slides and the technician got a

fingerprint on the front (the side that faces you when you look at it through

the loupe). Should I use PEC-12 to remove it, or is it not advisable?

If not, how should I clean it?

Last, I noticed that the first four slides I got back from the lab have what

looks like a very faint ghost image of the edge of a roll of film. If you look

at it at just the right angle in just the right light, you can see film

sprockets. Anyone else ever have something like this?

Thanks everyone...seriously.

Two easy ways to tell: Look at the slide film under light from an angle. The shiny smooth side is the base, the dull side is the emulsion side. If you view the slide on a light table and the slide is oriented properly (sky upward, right side object on the right side), then the base side is facing you, the emulsion side is facing the light table. One more way: If you can read the manufacturer identification on the film edge and the wording orientation is correct, you are facing the base side.

Re. #1, what Wang said. Also: When looking at the slide, if the image is backwards, the emulsion side is facing you.

Re. #2. Cleaning the base side is a lot less risky than cleaning the emulsion side. I've used some methods that I'm pretty ashamed of to clean the base side, and if you don't scratch it, you're fine. I'm very reluctant to touch the emulsion side with anything.

Re. #3. Yup, seen that. Light leak somewhere, I think. Could be in the developing machine.

To know what side is the base: come near with a side (1..2 cm) of film and breathe on it. The humidity of respiration condenses on the side of the base and goes fast. On the side of emulsion no chance.

Other method is less hygienic: touch your wet tongue to the film and the side that adheres is the emulsion. This method is for darkroom.

George

UPDATE:

ok, so I took this micro-fiber cloth I got at the film store, sprayed it ever so lightly with PEC-12, and gently, and I mean GENTLY rubbed the fingerprint mark on the base side of the slide...and it worked!

I probably could have used a tiny bit more PEC, or maybe rubbed a little harder, but I'm pleased with the result.

Trust me. I know how these things work. If I had tried to clean it more, I would have ended up ruining the slide somehow.

So, I'll quit while I'm ahead.

And by the way...I tried using PEC-12 on a Q-Tip, on a slide I didn't care about, and it was a disaster!

I don't know if I used too much PEC or maybe the Q-Tip was not soft enough, but it left a hudge smudge on the slide that I had to try and rub off with my micro-fiber cloth. The PEC residue still didn't completely come off.