the while.

now, i've never seen spots like this. they are not on the emulsion side. they

will not rub off. my only thought is that i didn't let the xtol 'rest', and

that tiny granuels burned their way onto the films surface. guys, before i go

into the darkroom and face absolute heart break, please, please, for the love

of god, tell me there is hope. do you think these will print? if i can see

the neg clearly, isn't that a good sign? or, since there are these marks, am i

totally sunk?

i shot with tmax3200 at 1600, used freshly mixed xtol 1:1.

any help (and hope) is appreciated.

dave, i wish it were that simple. these spots sort of look 'burned into' the negative, but only when viewed from a 90 degree angle. as i said, looking head on, i don't see them. have you ever heard of anything like this? are my negs ruined? do you think this is becuase i used the xtol straight away after mixing it?

Either make a macro shot or a print showing the problem so that we can see what is going on.

IF this were on the emulsion side I would say that the all fo the developer components were not fully dissolved. However, Xtol being what it is (the only acid based developer now in common use)we all

have to think differently (and by the way, I hate the stuff, but then those of you who have heard me talk about Xtol know this).

Lynn

richard, i don't think they're air bubbles. in fact, i'm positive. this may just totally throw me

into digital. the only way i can describe the dots are that they're all over every frame of every

roll of film, and it looks like it would look if my film were covered in fungus. which it's not.

it's just ruined, i'm sure, and i'm so sick i can't even deal with this. i just can't believe it.

Believe me your film is not totally ruined as far as being able to yield good images. I can tell that by looking at your film in the photo. Are you familiar with photoshop? The heal tool is my friend in photoshop! I use it, and other photoshop features, to restore old images where the negative has been grossly scratched, torn, or mutilated. You would not believe the garbage I have been able to fix in photoshop, stuff that would have taken days of retouching and diddling with in the old days. Stuff that make your negs look pristine. Get your negs scanned, get photoshop (LE version is cheap) and have at it. You will be amazed. Definitely worth it especially if these are cherished images of your father.

Regina, It was mentioned to rewash your negatives...did you try? what might look "burned in" may not be. Also, you looked at them "through light", did you actually make a print? Don't worry yourself until you try both of the above. I'm sure you could scan and fix some in PS, but you may not have to. Keep us posted.

If you do not have a lot of experience in PS, post some examples at http://www.dpreview.com in the retouching forum. Those guys chomp at the bit for challenges.

hi everybody. well, first i want to start off by thanking all of you for your input. i couldn't bear the thought of going into a darkroom and seeing everything come out ruined. greg, i followed your advice and scanned the negs--used a cheaper office scanner, but it looks like if anything, i can scan them as you suggest and get images that way. thankfully. i am so grateful. if ever i hated digital, i don't now. also, chris, i haven't rewashed them, but will try with a strip. still don't have much hope for that, but it's worth a try. also, i have class tonight so i will ask my teacher. i'll post what he says.

also, i hope anyone in the future reading this will take heed and let your chemistry sit overnight before using it, please! the picture below is blown out terribly, (tmax 3200, way over-developed. will use much selectol if i can traditionally print these) but thought i'd show you a sample of my beloved dad. i'm not sure, but i think if you look over his right shoulder, there's a light spot that may be caused by these infernal white marks. or it could be the sun. thanks again.<div>00KQXG-35596284.jpg.c85c13664014346b2bdbde03709409d0.jpg</div>

It's impossible to rule out tap water contamination until you've actually tried re-rinsing.

Use distilled water if at all possible (usually available in supermarkets). Let a strip soak on a reel in distilled water for 10-15 minutes. Make sure the water is close to 68F, or even warmer. After the rinse, do a brief soak in distilled water with a few drops of Photo-Flo.

If you go the scanning route for printing, I do recommend a dedicated film scanner. There's also an excellent group on yahoo dedicated to digital B&W printing using dedicated inksets for that purposes: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/DigitalBlackandWhiteThePrint/

Good luck, and let us know how it works out.

• 11 months later...