D70 Questions

Rich B NYC

I'm considering the purchase of a used D70 or D70s.

After looking at the KEH website, I see that the bodies are sometimes offered

without the CD. I'm assuming that the CD contains the RAW converter and

whatever other software Nikon provided as part of the original kit.

As I understand it, the basic Nikon RAW converter leaves something to be

desired. I'm not sure what it's lacking, but that's what I've managed to read

into the posts that I've seen.

I have PSE 3 which I believe supports RAW files from the D70. However, I don't

know if it's any better than the packaged Nikon converter. If I have to buy

a "better" converter, so be it.

1- Am I right in assuming that the RAW converter is on the CD?

2- What other software, if any, is on the CD and is it meaningful?

3- Does anyone know for sure if the RAW converter in PSE 3 supports the D70

and/or D70s?

3- The BGLOD issue is well known but is there a serial number after which this

is no longer a problem?

4- Are there any other general issues with the D70 other than BGLOD?

5- Is there any major reason to choose the D70s over the D70?

Thanks.

Rich

Even if you dont get the CD with the camera I believe you download the Picture Project software from Nikons site for free. I dont believe there is any other software included on the disk.

Not sure about PS elements 3 on supporting NEF files from the D70/s.

Main differences between the two cameras is the D70s has a slightly larger LCD and the ability to use a corded remote cord. Other then that the D70 is the same camera as long as it has the current firmware upgrade. Which can be downloaded from Nikon for free.

If I were you I would get a D70s over the D70. I never used the software that came with the camera, I converted RAW files with Photoshop or Nikon Capture, but I think Picture Project has a basic RAW converter.

I think the D70s corrected the BGLOD problem, but I could be wrong. It's a great camera.

Dave

There's nothing on the CD you can't download, AFAIK. Both Picture Project (the included software) and Nikon View are available from your local Nikon support site (though not quite sure what happens if you register the serial number of a s/h camera that's already been registered - serial numbers are required for downloads. I imagine an email would sort things out if necessary). Both packages give high quality raw conversions (probably better than Adobe's default settings), but with little control over the process (NV lets you set white balance presets and exp comp both in the main application and in an included 16-bit PS plugin; PP only has these controls in an 8-bit PS plugin and has no true raw adjustments in the main application). Elements 3 works with Adobe Camera Raw versions up to 3.6, which definitely supports both the D70 and D70s.

The D70s should be immune to BGLOD, but this is a risk with the D70. Some D70 bodies also shipped with a dodgy battery (should have been replaced by now - Nikon had a free exchange program). The D70s has a slightly bigger monitor, supposedly slightly wider flash coverage, a wired remote socket, and shipped with a slightly higher capacity battery. The firmware was also improved, but an equivalent updated version for the D70 is available for free download.

D70S has the cable release socket that you could possibly use to remotely take pictures via radio type devices attached to it.

E.g. POcket Wizard (PW) up to 1600 feet away, or even longer if you use an additional relay PW. You can do it with D70S, but not with D70.

D70S has a bit larger LCD screen - otherwise perhaps everything else is in the firmware patch that will make D70 like D70S.

I do not think we know serial # for BGLOD? perhaps it was not published ? I would be very interested in knowing this, but never found that, as I have the very first issue D70 that continues to work perfectly. Let's see what other will tell.

I never used software that came with Nikon CD with D70, or D200 to that matter. If you have PSE3, perhaps you do not need Nikon software, unless you want to control your camera from a lap top computer connectable via USB cable, but that is not on the CD anyhow.

The only significant drawback to the D70 is the viewfinder, but it's still workable. What are

you going to use for a lens?

The original

18-70 zoom it came with is pretty useful. If you're manual focusing you can focus best

by

zooming out first. You can match the cam too with mf AIS lenses- no

metering, but useable by testing

exposures on the LCD. If you've got a wide prime though you're probably going to need to

auto focus or guess distance and use some depth of field.

Rich,

I have a D70 that I just sent to Nikon for the BGLOD issue. They are fixing it for free. It was one of the early issue cameras that were affected. Whether they cover the issue on a second party sale I do not know but I do know they are standing behind the repair for mine. As far as the software any of the above advice works for me.

Hi Rich, I have a D70 I purchased from KEH. Mine wound up with the BGLOD problem. I downloaded the repair form from the Nikon website, and shipped it off. Got it back in less than 2 weeks, with the problem fixed AND the new firmware (D70s) installed AND cleaned the sensor for FREE! No questions asked.....Camera works perfectly now. Like others have mentioned, my only gripe (minor one at that) is the small viewfinder, other than that I have shot more pics with my "70" than any other camera I have ever owned. I got a copy of the Picture Project CD from KEH with the camera. I don't shoot raw so that so far has been adequate. I do very little post processing.

Welcome aboard and enjoy your camera!

Mark

I just got Capture One LE free (not a demo) with a (4Gb) Sandisk Extreme III CF card from play.com:

http://www.phaseone.com/sandisk

According to the license key voucher, the offer is good until the end of this month. I like the default results almost as much as those from Nikon's own converters, and there's much more control than you get with Nikon View.