Military Leicas for the U.S. Army Signal Corps.

andy_coach

Leica also produced a "Photo journalist" kit for the US Army photographers, it was stamped KE7A on the top plate, it came with a 35mm, 50mm, and 90mm lens and the body was an M4 - they are like hens teeth yet when I worked as a PJ for the US based in West Berlin between 1980 and 1991, one of my colleagues had one of the kits that he had purchased very cheaply when the military sold them off.

I am inclined to suspect that if it is a genuine military camera it is a "liberated" IIIc if it was acquired during or shortly after WW2. OTOH it may well be a civilian model, but there weren't many Leicas (at least late models) in civilian hands. A year or so after the NAZI surrender some Leicas began to become available through the PX's. There is little likelihood that it was US Armed Forces issue. If it was German military issue it would bear the engraving of the branch it was issued to (See Lager or Haney for description of military cameras). I doubt if US forces were issued Leicas until well after the occupation had ended.

My boyhood friend was in the army around 1956 and 1957. He was stationed some where in New Mexico and worked doing something in photography. I remember one day years ago he told me they used Leica gear. Not only cameras but enlargers ect, ect. I got the impression they where just Leica photo gear confiscated after ww2. No special models. No special markings. Gus.

Sorry all, I forgot to give you a serial number, etc. The information I have been able to develop from various internet sources is that this cameral is one of 500 which were purchased from Leitz to be used in the pacific campaign's close.

Anyway, I'll upload a number of pictures for your comments and edification.

Leo<div>00KKXR-35477484.jpg.0251b32e3d616858d9bb801c234490ad.jpg</div>

"Leica also produced a "Photo journalist" kit for the US Army photographers"

Ian, not just the Army. Any military photojournalist, especially those that went through the coveted Syracuse PJ course, got one of those kits issued to them. I've always been an SLR guy, digital now but film back in the day, and I could get into such arguments with Navy Leicafiles who would try (unsuccessfully) to convince me I needed to switch over to rangefinders. My thought was that yes, Leica makes exceptional glass, but it doesn't matter how good your glass is if you leave the lenscap on. And for some reason, none of these guys ever seemed interested in the Leica-made SLRs, even though all of their arguments about why Leica was superior to Nikon or Canon should have applied to the Leica SLRs. But I digress -- my point is that in the Navy, we had shooters running around with the Leica kits, too.

This is a rare camera - production ran from September 1941 - 1945 .'K' denotes winterized shutter for low temperature use(Kugellager)and Grey /blue paint indicates militart use . One recently sold on Ebay for quite a few pennies. Van Hasbroeck in his massive tome gives a picture of no. 390621K and speculates that between 2700-5000 were made . The serial number may give an indication of year . Will give you $50 - sorry that is mean, make it $60. Wally

Wally - aren't you funny!

Seriously, I really wasn't looking for such a beast when I bought it, rather was looking for a beater to carry around and just shoot away. Now I am faced with what to do with it? I've seen prices asked upwards of $6K for similar cameras in similar condition. I think I would rather have a nice lens on an M-3 and be done with it. Maybe it will be my son's inheritance.....

Irrespective of its provenance (and apparently you have little or no documentation) its worth definitely exceeds that of standard IIIc's. The fact that it is painted grey and has the K shutter and engraving certainly identifies it as military issue. Usually Luftwaffe issue cameras were so identified, but perhaps not always. I don't know anything about Leica furnishing USAAF or Signal Corps with IIIc's for use in the Pacific Theater but that is a matter for historians. In any event you should be able to realize a handsome sum for it if you should choose part with it.

So, back to one of my earlier questions.... Is there a "History of Leica in the US Military" article or book out there that I am just not finding??? I have continued to search as this discussion has progressed and have a folder of web available material that I have located, but NO single comprehensive article or write-up. Is there a way, within this forum to make that information available to you all without a bunch of little posts?

I am thoroughly enjoying photo.net and thanks to all of you who have responded to my questions.

Regards,lb.

• 2 months later...

I personally saw Leica IIIF`s STILL in use at a US Army Military Police station in Germany in the early 1990`s....they didn`t have any special markings on them

I knew a DOD Civilian school teacher who was a camera collector over there, who told me he bought a 1943/44 Grey paint K Shutter from a Sergeant who bought it originally from the Nuremberg DRMO auction in 1958

(for like $15)

it had also been used by the US Army over there in the late 1940`s till 1958, needless to say it was well worn with lot`s of patina, but it had the original DRMO bill of sale dated 1958

Darnit I WANT a K Shutter Leica :/ *a chrome one*

• 2 weeks later...

Here`s an update about this beautiful Grey IIIC K which now has a new home here in Florida :)

I just received the camera this past morning, seeing the "real" deal for the first time in a long time, is refreshing and very exciting to see a camera with such a rich history....

This information is from Mr. James Lager, this Leica Grey IIIC K was delivered to a US Army Brigadier General on May 25th 1945 (about two weeks after the German surrender) and then given to a Major in the US Army Signal Corps 500 cameras were prepared like this for the General and delivered on that date.

This was part of the first issue of Leica cameras to the US Army in 1945 (directly from the company) but not the only one, seems that Leitz kicked in with the supply of cameras immediately to the American Forces, for work and personal use and quite a few deliveries were made that first year, soon the first American PX`s were stocked with new Leica`s and the postwar Leica use boomed among the American Servicemen and Women stationed in Germany and Austria after the war.

I`m now looking to find out more about the General and the Major to pinpoint their Military careers, so I might shed yet more light on my new Leica.

And many many thanks again to Leo, you are the best! Thank you so very much for the wonderful camera :)

Tom

PS: The only thing that I`ve changed on the camera is I added a orange Leica rangefinder filter, which really is a good idea, it changes the whole aspect of the rangefinder focusing and technique.<div>00LWjd-37000484.jpg.0e9b1ba47fff090d2ea7cc29f97f8508.jpg</div>