Canon macro lenses

timcorio

I'm working on a project photographing coins and need a solution for

magnification of greater than 1x, perphaps up to 40x.

So far, the most promising solution I've found has been a pair of Canon lenses

orignally designed for the FD system. These are the Macrophoto Lens 20mm f/3.5

and the Macrophoto Lens 35mm f/2.8. They are described here

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/canon/fdresources/fdlenses/fdmacro/2035macro.htm.

Does anyone have any experience using these lenses with an EOS system? Can you

contrast image quality with what I might get using a microscope?

Thanks,

Tim

You could use either of those lenses on a Canon Fd mount bellows unit (either autobellows or bellows FL), with a cheap FD to EOS adaptor. You can take the glass part out of the adaptor (it's probably crappy, and you don't need it anyway for macro), then attach your camera to the bellwos unit. That will give you a lot of magnification with either of those lenses. I have a similar bellows set up (though with a different lens) and it works well. Teh adaptor I got off of ebay for around $30 isn't well made, but it works. As I recall, the glass part screwed right out.

40X magnification, are you sure, that is more like microscope levels. With a 20mm lens you would need 400mm of extension. My old (non Canon) FD bellows are about 120mm. At 40X a feature 0.9mm wide will fill the frame of a full frame camera, that is a lot of magnification for a coin!

With a bellows and a good macrophoto lens you can get to 10X to perhaps 20X although the working distance will probably limit you. You can use a glassless EF to FD adaptor. You will need a fibre optic light feed that can take a flash attachment to be able to light the subject.

If you want a modern solution the MP-E 65mm gets you up to 5X without any additional extension. It is not supported but you hear of people using TCs and Ext tubes to get over 10X, also you could use a bellows. However I think you might be better off with a microscope and adaptor.

5X is enough for even very small bugs so I would be interested to understand why you need 40X for coins.

40X? One of the best is the 19mm f2.8 macro nikkor. One other good alternative is the Zeiss Luminar 16mm f2.8. This type of lens including the older Canon 20 & 35mm use RMS mount. You will need a RMS to something mount (e.g.: M39, M42, K-mount, T-mount) that has a EOS adapter. Be prepare to spend good $ for a good used one. They are also some what rare. After that, more dollars for the required lighting and solid platform for 40X.

Check out Dr Klaus D. Schmitt's web site. He has the most comprehensive macro lens collection then anyone else in the web.

http://www.macrolenses.de/objektive.php?lang

BTW, before you spend big $ on a 40X RMS mount macro lens, if your 40X means final magnification say to a 18x12 print. You don't needs a 40X macro lens. Something like the Canon MP-E 65mm f2.8 is ideal (for 1X to 5X). You can then get the final 10X via printing. The MP-E 65mm like all large magnification macro lens are not easy to use. You may want to try to put a 1.4X TC on a standard 60mm f2.8 macro with a 1.6X body (e.g. 30D, 400XT) and see if it will do the job. It is a much easier set-up that way.

I have a Minolta 12.5mm f/2 micro (bellows only). If I remember correctly, these small bellows-only lenses from Canon, Olympus, Nikon, and Minolta all used the same screw thread... anyone know for sure? Some of these lenses will be very hard to locate.

My setup is this: 12.5mm lens to Minolta adapter. Adapter to Minolta bellows. Bellows to M42 pair of adapters. And then attach the camera.

It was difficult to find an adapter that connected the Minolta lens (SR/MC/MD mount) to an M42 body, but easy to find an M42 lens to EOS body.

It is very very very difficult to focus with my 20d (maybe 35mm or 5d would be better for that) so you will need strong modeling lights. My Minolta bellows plus tubes can take that lens to about 18-20x, not sure how easy it will be to get to 40x! You also need a very sturdy stand.

It might be easier to get an adapter for a microscope.

Sitthivet, scanning on a flatbed is a good idea, I'll have to try that.

RMS, that was the term I forgot, thanks Tommy... yes, many companies made lenses with that mount.

What Tommy says is true. If you only want to photograph something the size of a coin, 40x in lens + bellows probably isn't what you need. How much detail are you really trying to get?

Actually, I use the lens you are looking for AND i have shoot a coin at 10 times magnification (availlable in my tiny portfolio). As mentioned earlier you will need several accessories : a bellows, an adaptater FD/EOS from which you will remove the lens in order to obtain a mechanical adaptater and the 20mm lens. You will also want to add the following : a viewfinder with magnification to achieve focus and a remote control. The viewfinder is costly and not necessary however, the remote control is very usefull, as pressing, even slitly, the shutter will often throw the subject out of focus (remember that the depth of field is very very thin at those magnifications). Moreover a remote control can be homemade rather easily. At 10 times magnification I have not encountered ligth problems, even at low iso and fast shutter, I have used a simple desk halogen lamp. The real problem will come from shaking : you will need a heavy tripod and a heavy support for your coins (ideally both should be bonded, I think) and particulliary you will need to find a way to precisely move you coin to take as many shoots as you need to cover the entire subject. I also want to stress the point that using a bellows will probably bring dust on your sensor, be prepared!

Moreover, I am sure that 40x is a typo... as at this magnification you will need to take several shoots at different distances of the same part and use a special algorithm (like zDOF) to unite them in a single image with a correct depth of field. Well, let's say your coin is a square of 1cm, at 40x it means ~500 shoots (with a APS size captor) to cover the subject and each ones must be duplicated, let's says 4 times, to have a decent depth of field... I really hope you are not going to photography a whole collection.

As said above, 2x-5x is probably the best bet, even, perhaps, for documentary purposes.

Good luck.

• 2 months later...

Probably when Tim Corio says x40 is thinking to see the coin 40 times bigger. I though like that before knowing the macro world. After I bought the 100 mm canon, I saw that 1:1 (or x1) is enough for many things. To make pictures more than that requires special devices. I suggest you to visit

http://www.ojodigital.com/foro/showthread.php?t=46855&highlight=mp-e

It is in Spanish, but you can see the pictures of the Canon MP-E 65, that reaches x5 and it is very difficult to use.

You can see pictures 1:1 at

Fotos de pruebas