Film aprons

Can anyone post any experiences they've had with the Arista Film Apron?

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_prod.php?cat_id=&pid=5628

I'm debating whether or not to try them out. Additionally, is there any

required amount of developer (I use d-76 1:1) needed to develop one roll of

film? That tank looks like it does not have very much liquid capacity at all.

Yes, I use them exclusively. They work great. Easiest things to load I've ever found. They beat stainless steel and plastic reels all hollow. I think people hate the fact that it takes zero skill to get these to work right - and they worked so hard to become expert on their infernal contraptions, it just isn't fair - so they hate them.

I have the 35mm and the 120 tanks. The 35mm holds about 350ml, as I recall. But check it first - fill it up with water and then pour that into a graduated cylinder. Simple.

I don't generally use the stock tanks. You can use any tank. The trick is that if you do more than one apron at a time, you need to keep them separated, which reels do well, but aprons not so much.

Check out eBay - search for 'KodaCraft' tanks. They were designed for these aprons and held two rolls of 35mm. They usually have a stainless steel disk to keep them separated - a round disk the diameter of the tank, with holes in it to let the liquids in and out. You could make something similiar easily enough if you can't find one, but they're pretty common and pretty cheap. The original tanks were made of some kind of plastic - perhaps bakelite - and they are not made for inversion - no caps. So agitate by moving them around on a flat surface - or if you just have to agitate, use the aprons and metal spacer in a different tank that does seal. I've got a SS Nikkor tank that works, but I don't usually invert, so I don't usually bother with it.

The Arista is a copy of Kodacraft aprons and tanks fromm the 1950's. They work great, and the only thing I can see that they would be inferior to reels would be if you dev more than 2 rolls at a time - I often do, but I split up the work into rolls of two. Others don't - if you dev 4 or 6 or whatever rolls at once, this probably would not work for you.

Hope you enjoy it - great and EASY way to load film. Oh, and cheap too.

I hadn't used aprons for a long time when I saw them in the Freestyle catalog. I had Kodak Imakelink HQ and FS film cut down from 105mm to 120. The base is very thin and it was difficult to load the film into regular 120 size SS reels. The Freestyle apron/tank combination worked nicely.

Thank you for the kind words, Christopher.

I suspect I am especially uncoordinated - I know many others have mastered the Art of the Reel, and many without seeming to have even tried hard. I have been doing B&W processing since 1979, and loading the tank was the only part I dreaded. I really enjoy processing my own film in every other respect.

I do not recall who turned me on to the aprons, but I have them to thank for the advice. I will never be sorry that I use them, and I enthusiastically recommend them - especially for newbies, for whom the mastery of the reel could easily turn them off from doing their own darkroom work. Especially if they have no one to show them in person how to use reels. The aprons are so easy. I am in favor of not traumatizing people who are trying to get *IN* to using film.

Do they do a 220 size version? That would certainly interest me.

BTW, what stops a 120 film from bulging and touching the apron? I could easily see this happening, unless the "pimples" are quite deep. Would the plastic apron stand up to the temperature of the C-41 process long-term without tending to flatten? Also, is there any sign of streaking from interference with the developer flow?

I need answers before I commit to such a large outlay! ;-)

I use the aprons almost exclusively. I started with a couple of Kodacraft tanks, but find it a hassel to invert because they have no lid, so I have to shake them. I then started using my aprons with a couple Kindermann stainless steel tanls and find that that works the best.

The old Kodak aprons were the best. I have used the Freestyle Arista apron and it it is very thin and cheaply made but it does work. I generally only use that one when I have a second tank to process at the same time. I use both 35mm and 120 size.

Yeah, I have the stainless reels but I am a KFC (Klutz First Class) with them. I also have a Patterson tank, but don't use it as much since I started using the aprons regularly.

-Marshall

Pete - I have not done 220, but I suspect that the apron for 120 is long enough for 220. Can't be certain, though. I think so. You should note that Freestyle sells the 35mm and the 120 aprons - and the tanks are different as well. You could not use the 120 apron in the 35mm tank - it is sized for just one roll of 35mm film. The apron has wavy edges to keep it from touching the film - looks kind of like lasagna. I have been asked why or if the part of the apron that touches the neg keeps it from developing at that point - not that I've seen, I don't know why. As to C-41 - I have no idea, honestly. I put the aprons in the dishwasher and they seem to suffer no ill effects, if that helps. I have not seen any signs of developer streaking except in the first rolls I ever did - and that was apparently due to my using old Kodak aprons that had old chemistry baked into them. I cleaned them and threw away the yellow ones. No more problems.

Marshall, I agree with your comments on the Arista versus the Kodak aprons, but the Kodak aprons tend to lose their tension over time if you wash them in the dishwasher (grin). However, I like their rivet at the small end - makes it a tiny bit easier to get started with the rolling up business. I don't mind the original Kodacraft tanks - I feel no overwhelming urge to invert. But I know it bothers some folks, and for them, something like a Kindermann tank would work great, as you said.

I don't think the Freestyle 120 apron is long enough for 220. I don't plan on using any ImageLink film in 220 length so I won't need an apron that long. The Kodak aprons were sturdier than the ones available now from Freestyle. I have tried to develop 220 film in a Paterson tank/reel set, with a narrow spaced Brooks type reel and with a wide spaced Nikor set. The wide spaced Nikor reel is by far the best way to develop 220 film in a tank. If I remember correctly the wide spaced tank takes 21 ounces of solution rather than the 15.5-16 ounces which go into a standard size tank. With TXP as the only 220 film left, and who knows for how long, 220 film backs, tanks and reels are going for very little. Another photo.netter insisted that the Kodacraft tanks did come with a cap. I first saw and used a Kodacraft tank more than 35 years ago and I have never seen one with a cap which looks like it came with the tank. Inversion has always been my method of agitation for roll film. The Freestyle 120 size apron/tank set looks like it takes something less than 16 ounces of solution but that isn't a problem. If you use too much solution and then attach the cap you won't get proper agitation. The best thing to do is to put a test roll with the apron in the tank (with no top), pour in water until it covers the film and them dump it into a measuring cup.

I have been using the Kodacraft Tanks and aprons since the mid

1950's. The aprons came in various roll film sizes plus 35mm.Must

have a dozen or so all told.

My first tank is so old, the mental weight disc is not stainless

steel, but painted with black laquer ! Has a few rust spots by

now, but easily cleaned. For inverting, I just wear a pair of

rubber kitchen gloves, and seal top with palm of hand. Rinse

gloves well between steps. Yes I also have modern stainless

tanks and reels, but still like the oldies and the old Kodak

Day-load tank that took the whole cassette and had a built in

film cutter and agitator. Never knew that there were other

makers of aprons. Got to get out to more camera shows !

Best reguards,

/Clay

• 3 weeks later...
Yep,I too use exclusively aprons & have a collection of both kodakcraft and freestyles.They work each & everytime and are much much easier than either metal or plastic reels.A word of warning though:Don't use the Arista aprons in the kodacraft tank.The Kodakcraft tanks aren't made for inversion you spin it from side to side.The Arista aprona require inversion (the ridges are different than Kodaks)and it wont work without inversion.Also,on the Arista tank don't fill it up all the way to the top (they are air tight)there needs to be just enough air in there for the chemical to slosh back & forth....you should be able to hear it.