Cleaning Glue Off Of A Slide

I just got my slides back from the lab, and I noticed that a couple of the

slides have what appears to be glue residue from the mounting. I called the lab

and the gentleman said that the mounting is done by machine and that it happens

from time to time. And he said that I could send them back to get cleaned.

Since I am an impatient person, I'd rather do it myself, as this process has

already taken a few days.

Does anyone know a method to safely clean the dried glue residue off a slide?

I believe the glue is on the front (correct terminology?) of the slide, so I'm

a little nervous about ruining the slide.

Thank so much everyone.

Craig, I don t know if your problems is like that I see in the past on same films. On the support is same thing blanc like a rubber adhesive. For eliminate this you can tray ethylic alcohol, isopropyl alcohol or perchloroethylene. You can use cotton for remote the glue but the support has same problems. If I good understand your problems is not like a rubber adhesive and is not adhesive. Maybe a good wash with photoflo can solution your problems. If your film is cut I thing for this operation must be make for a person with much experience. The gentleman of lab maybe to be a variant. Normal, the treatments of reconditions a film is not absent oneself of same risk. I thing that your problems is not very difficult but you mast pass.

If you want, maybe is good to give only 1 or 2 frame for testing.

Succes,

George

I would avoid a re-wash at first if possible. My first two choices for cleaning would be a good film \ emulsion cleaner like PEC-12 or 98% Isopropyl alcohol. Water and moisture will re-swell the emulsion and open you up to possible damage. I have had pretty good luck with PEC-12 for removing adhesive. Here's a link and some info for you: http://www.photosol.com/pec12.htm

I hope that helps...

The film was Ektachrome 64, EPY 135-36. Standard stuff that I use all the time.

When the machine cuts the slide for mounting, there IS an adhesive that is applied on the strip above and below the image. The plastic mount is then pressed together with the adhesive being what keeps the slide from moving (I suppose).

I've never had this happen before. I've had what appears to be wash that has dried on the film before, but this is a first for me and the lab I brought it to. Problem is, its the only lab in the area.

I see that the commercial name for perchloroethylene is PEC-12. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perchloroethylene) Thanks Michael. I came back because my presentation is technical not good. For the cleaning of the film with solvents is very good skin for spectacles and cotton is same think use in the past for shoes. Sorry, my English is not good. I remember that an anther good solvent is same thing use in the past for lighter (more inflammable that gas for car). This solvent it is much used in past in the lab for motion picture film (for manual cleaning). For ultrasonic cleaning lab use PEC-12 (perchloroethylene), other machine goes with CF-2(methyl clorophorm) and now with isopropyl alcohol.

My opinion about re-swell the film it s a miracle for the scratch from the emulsion. Never have I had problems with the emulsion after re-swell. All the time, emulsion is better. For the color films, after a re-wash I use a stabilizer.

George

That's a bizarre mount. Normally, paper mounts have a heat-activated adhesive which holds the mount closed and also traps the edges of the film, one of the reasons I don't like cardboard mounts. As the light in the projector warms the film it expands, and when the edges are trapped in the adhesive the film has to buckle. With plastic mounts there is normally a recess in one side of the mount which keep the film from moving out of alignment but does allow for some expansion and contraction. I've never seen a mounter for plastic mounts that uses adhesive of any kind.

It sounds like they know what it is and how to deal with it. Because there normally isn't any adhesive in plastic mounts, and because most solvents are going to eat the plastic, I'd let them do it. They are probably going to pull the film out of the mount (destroying the mount immediately), clean the film by itself, and remount by hand. If it's only a couple of them, you probably should let them handle it.

Van