Copyright music on wedding websites

mtrejo6

A subject near and dear to my heart and pocket book. I made a slideshow using copyrighted (stolen) music. Purely by chance an exec from a record company saw it. Within days I was slapped with a lawsuit. It cost me, and my company more than $10,000 to settle the mess.

JUST DON'T DO IT, YOU NEVER KNOW WHO IS GOING TO SEE IT.

<Chas>

• 2 weeks later...

Buying RF music is the only way to go as the music industry once again doesn't *get it*.

They are such a convoluted nightmare they aren't even interested in dealing with this.

If Apple can make money on 99 cent downloads wouldn't you think they'd be happy with

$25 - $50 -$100 downloads? This is just another example of how they earn their

reputation.

Search through the RF music and buy that and live with it. When asked to put their DVD to

their favorite music you just have to explain that it's illegal... no matter what others are

telling you.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I personally have contacted many major record companies and I, like most photographers, am way too small for them to care about and have never heard back. I would be happy to pay the proper royalties, but who would you even pay them to?

I did, however, recently read an article or blurb in one of my magazines that mentioned a company that is not providing a licensing program for commonly used songs for photographers to license the muse throug. I can't find the article now, though. It would have been in Rangefinder, the PPA magazine, or Studio PHotography. Has anyone else come across that article and can you post the website of the company doing the licensing if you have?