medium format. I ran into and old and close friend last night. Hadn't seen her

in about a decade. She is still as devestatingly beautiful as she ever was and

we clearly hadn't lost any part of being freinds. We literally picked up where

we left off and that was a fairly close relationship. The night wore on and we

continued to drink with the kiddlings, you know, the college kids that already

know everything. Several here probably used to be one, I know I was. Anyway we

spent the night as good freinds will and yes, my wife was there too. A tolerant

women my Pam but the funny part was how many of the kiddlings commented they

hoped they could be in so strong a relationship when they were 'our age'.

Impertinent little twits but they were sincere and meant well. Well, to the

photographic part of this narrative.

I've decided I want to do a series of photographs of my freind Kathy. She's a

truly beautiful woman, better now at 40 than when she was 30, still as bright

and fun, now with a pair of Master's degrees and a PhD as well. I believe she

will make a superb subject for portraits in a variety of settings, all in B&W.I

keep thinking Avedon. I'm not yet the master he was but I've got skills. I need

the right model and maybe I've got her now. I've got plenty of 35mm but am

thinking towards a medium format camera. It has to be simple and reliable. It

must be of a design that doesn't get in the way of the work which tells me a

Rollei with a 2.8 taking lens, an Autochord or a Mamiya C220 or 330.

Maaaayyyybe and Yashcia Mat 124D. Oh, and a Holga. My goal here is silver-base

prints in 8x10 or 11x14 and to have a show at one of the local galleries of

which we have more than I first realized. I've got a 4x5 view camera and all of

the accessories so though maybe a Speed Graphic if a good one can be found.

Again, the camera will be a tool and not allowed to interfere with the

photographic process. I need a razor sharp lens to produce a good basic image

that I can the screw up at will with filters etc.

This should be an interesting endeavour. She currently lives several hundred

miles away and is moving soon to the Tampa area. Not sure how far away that is

from South Alabama but hopefully it can be driven. Maybe one trip a month. This

is getting me excited, the first new long term project in some time.

Suggestions about any of this?? Thanks.

Rick H.

I'm a Hasselblad finatic, but I know what you mean about the convenience of a TLR. For sharpness, I have a strong opinion having used some of the cameras you list, and settling on a Hasselblad to get the job done for about 25 years. For sharpness, I would rule out the Holga and Yashicamat. If you've done large format, I think the only choice that will satisfy you (from your list) is the Rollei. It sounds like cost may be a factor, given your list of cameras. If not, you may want to consider a rangefinder as well, like a Fuji or Mamiya. A Speed or Crown Graphic would be a great choice, but slow and more costly to use.

Rick - Depending on how far south you are (Dothan? Further south?), yer looking at 7 hours minimum. Your time may vary, but I'd bet around 7 hours with luck, short-to-no stops, etc., and that might be a tad conservative. Might be better, faster, and cheaper to fly outta Montgomery or Birmingham in to Tampa/STPT/CLW.

I second the Mamiya RZ67. To quote A. Conti from <b><a href="">this thread</a></b>: "<i>The RZ is one hell of a tool. Not a sexy tool, but a very effective one.</i>"

<p>

If you want to work hand-held, better try an automated 645 <abbr title="single-lens reflex camera">SLR</abbr> like the M645, Pentax 645, etc. Whatever some naysayers post, 645 is a huge step-up from 35mm and has all the beautiful rendering of out-of-focus areas and sharpness of medium format. And the 645 cameras are excellent for easy snapshooting, trying to capture a fleeting moment or expression.

<p>

By the way, for most seasoned photographers this is not an issue, but if you have no hands-on experience with a <abbr title="waist-level finder">WLF</abbr> this thing <i>will</i> interfere with the photographic process. That's why I guess a 645 <abbr title="single-lens reflex camera">SLR</abbr> could be a more rewarding picture-taker. If I were you, I would definitively take several cameras with me, having them all tested with your wife as the subject.

Rick, Rick, Rick...

This ain't about equipment, it's asking the membership what car is best when driving on the road to Trouble. Any members here with model experience know that inexperienced photographers, particularly married ones, jeopardize their personal lives without explicit ground rules. The wife should be part of the shooting team not the tolerant team. Not only for the assistant you gain, but the comfort of the subject and the peace of mind of the spouse. On this project, never photograph alone and you'll never have to explain anything. I hope this advise is not taken as an attack. Good luck and I hope this project brings you a successful show.

A Pentax 645 will do the job very nicely, for not a whole lot of money.

Give one a try. If this lady is more beautiful at 40 than at 30, she will more than likely make a nice subject at 50 ,60 and 70. Photograph her at all of these upcoming ages as well.

I hope I'm able to do that Bob because I think she will be. Got an interesting answer to the camera question this afternoon though. My boss's boss's boss, anyway the guy at the top of the food chain in our region, asked me the other day what he ought to purchase as he is starting from scratch in digital. He's an experienced photographer though he's gotten away from it the last several years. He asked several smart questions and then went with my reccomendations to the tune of $8K or so. Keep in mind I shoot Nikon and he bought Canon. He must be happy with it so far because I still have a job and he brought me a beautiful old Bronica SLR and told me to hang on to it for a few weeks and use it. This is not insignificant because there's a lot of sentimental value to him in this piece, enough so I would not even consider asking to purchase it. What a gorgeous piece of work! It's everything I wanted the Hassleblad to be but it wasn't. This is the answer to what I need to use for this project. It is nice to use it just for its own sake. Kind of like how a Jaguar is designed for the journey and not simply the destination. I mentioned earlier I wanted a camera that didn't get in the way of what I wanted to do. I get the feeling that this old beast is going to give at least partial lie to the idea that it isn't the camera, it's the photographer. Some things add to the results by their design and execution and the fact that they are simply a pleasure to use. We'll see.

Rick H.