bms

I recently came across the Nikkor 2000mm Reflex lense. It had been sitting in

an attic for 18 somewhat years. This monster weighs 43 lbs! Since I am no

Hercules, I have a little trouble hand holding this lens and unfortunately, the

person who bought it originally did not seem to have also gotten the dedicated

mount (I think called AY-1). Nikon told me to go look for one used, but I hjave

not been able to locate one. Neither have I been able to find reliable

information about any tripod that would bear that much weight. My won home made

construction is not really that stable, so there is still quite a bit of shake -

see example at ISO 800, 1/100, <a href= http://www.photo.net/photo/5628313>

here

</a>

<br>

Does anyone have any experience in that regard, or suggestions?

Much appreciated, thanks!

Ian has got it right. Check out your local astronomy/telescope store (try Orion, they have

value-laden gear). I use a 500/8 reflex lens with a 1.4x and 2x teleconverter on an Orion Sky

View Pro tripod with the camera mounted on a dovetail bar and with a motorized mount.

Great photos are possible, given the right atmosphere and eyesight!

While your shopping for a tripod at that astronomy shop I would suggest lugging that 2000mm lens along with you. The 2000mm Nikkor is basicaly a telescope adapted for camera use and it's quite possible that the Nikon designer used a mount for the adapter that is common for a telescope. If so, all you may have to do is find the correct telescope/camera adapter. If you don't get that lucky then you'll have to have one custom made which should be fairly simple for any good machine shop, however it will be expensive at the 75 bucks an hour typical at most machine shops charge.

I was really intrigued by this thread and couldn't stop thinking about it. Obviously, the

weight of your lens is the critical issue here: at forty-three whopping pounds you really are

out of the photography realm and into the astronomy sphere here! In comparison, my 8"

Schmidt-Cassegran telescope, which is essentially a 2000/f.10 reflex lens, weighs in at a

wimpy sixteen pounds. I see from reading up on your lens at www.mir.com.my that your

lens has a tripod socket, and there are some nice ball heads that can handle heavy setups,

but I'd be afraid to dangle that much weight off a thin tripod thread. Obviously, the

dedicated AY-1 mount is the best solution, but I'm guessing that the AY-1 is one of

Nikon's rarest creations. I like the idea the previous poster had about getting a machine

shop to make up a fork mount (you could even get it painted or powder-coated to match

the lens). You might get lucky and find a commercial telescope fork mount that fits a 10"

telescope tube that you could rig up. Another idea I had was to get the astronomy optical

tube rings that are designed to fit on a long dovetail bar and clamp on to a telescope tube

(sort of like the rings that mount a rifle scope). Once you get the mount figured out, all

you have to worry about is a monster tripod. Actually, I think that an astronomical pier

stand may be the way to go here; since you are not rotating this rig way off-center to

follow an equatorial or orbital path, you don't have to worry about the rig tipping over so

much as the ability to merely hold it upright at a comfortable height. In any event, I wish

you the best of luck and please, when you get this Hubble lens rigged up, post a picture of

your solution!

Take a look at the big auction site. I see many used monster Linhof tripods listed. The bigger ones were for the 8x10 inch bellows cameras, so they can probably handle your 2000 mm lens. Your new lens was, as I recall, extremely expensive even in the early 1970s. According to "Nikon System Handbook," it was introduced in 1969. As I recall, it was mostly used by surveillance agencies, game wardens, and the like.

• 2 months later...