75mm Question

Is there anyone else who wishes Leica had made a neat little 75mm Elmarit-M?

This would be an f2.8 with pull-out hood and 39mm filter size. It would

resemble the 90 TE. Nice and light and handy. 8 aperture blades.

Just thought I'd ask, as 75mms are being discussed.

It is puzzling why anyone would want a 'pull-out' hood on any lens shorter than a 90. Such hoods are circular of necessity and being so are prone to corner fall-off if long enough to protect from flare. A rectangular clip-on or push-on hood, even if designed for a 50 will still afford better flare protection. Circular hoods admit light to the top, bottom, and sides of the format amounting to forty percent or more of the light entering the lens. The issue is critical in lenses less than 90mm focal length and particularly so in wider angle objectives. Leica makes some very effective rectangular shades for some of the shorter lenses and it is puzzling why they persist in the expense of retractable shades on some models.

Hmmm, although I get the occasional flare with my 75/2 Summicron, it's been in situations where most any other lens w/ hood would also flare. I have yet to see any corner light fall-off with the hood extended in any shooting situation so far. To me, the pull-out hood with the 50 & 75 'crons have not been an issue.

The pull-out hoods are obviously designed to avoid corner fall-off and as such will admit extraneous light at the sides, top, and sometimes bottom of the format. If the hood is deepened to avoid the flare the fall-off occurs. If the lens is prone to flare, it is a no-win situation. More modern lenses with multicoating are not as badly afflicted but all lenses will flare in some lighting situations -- particularly 'contre-jour', and rectangular shades are the only form that will provide optimum protection.

I have the CV Color-Heliar 75mm f/2.5. It's the only lens I kept after selling all my CV stuff. It works great with an adapter on a Leica-M. It's not a Summicron, but it's a terrific candids lens & well-built. Image quality on mine is very fine. Considering its cost of a few hundred$ new, or less, it's a great value and fills that niche for me. The money saved is accumulating for other stuff.