EOS-1D Mark III on dpreview.com

timswaback

Price given as +/- $ 4000,- Street will be... whatever.

Personally, I wouldn't pay that for a 10.1 MB gizmo. Unless it had a superior type anti-shake incorporated in the body. Canon just doesn't seem to get it. Good for Pentax, opens a comeback road for them. Though

we still need to see a true pro performance body from them.

In my opinion, this camera is purely for someone shooting sports or someone who needs

10FPS. The most interesting thing for me is the Live View which would be an asset when it

comes to studio composition. Otherwise, I'm waiting to see what Canon or Nikon for that

matter, come up with as far as FF goes. Any word on that?

This is weird, "Unless it had a superior type anti-shake incorporated in the body. Canon just doesn't seem to get it."

What? I.S. for Canon shooting pros is best *in the lens.* This is a PRO camera. Canon doesn't need anti-shake built into a pro sports body. Canon doesn't get it ehh? Why are 80% of pros on the sideline using Canon then? What better system is there?

"Personally, I wouldn't pay that for a 10.1 MB gizmo. Unless it had a superior type anti-shake incorporated in the body. Canon just doesn't seem to get it. Good for Pentax, opens a comeback road for them. Though we still need to see a true pro performance body from them."

This is a 1-series camera, thus it is aimed at professional photographers. Specifically, at sports photographers, war photographers, and photojournalists. It is not aimed at photographers like you, or me. Pentax? They never had a camera aimed at the above-mentioned market, as you yourself recognize.

I am sure that Canon will be very concerned by the fact that amateur photographers will not buy this camera, while the professional ones, who really need it, will queue to purchase it.

Some of the rather "shrieky" comments above sound like those I used to get from Mac Geeks. Now, that their 'can-do-no-wrong' Apple boss turned out to be just another stock option backdater, they don't shriek so loud anymore... I'm a Mac user, by the way. Sometimes I use Windows. Same difference, give & take a few.

As to who or what constitutes a pro photographer, and what U have to shoot with if U consider urself part of that elite (Mac Geeks, anyone..?), should best be left encapsuled in a nest of wasps. I wouldn't wanna stick my hand into it... Let me just add that some great and memorable photographs were taken with equipment that today's "Shriekers" couldn't get much out of. Certainly, they could always get down to it. They'd have to.

So far I don't own any digital gizmos. Sometimes I rent some digital medium format stuff to satisfy a demand. Other than that I work with Leica, Olympus, Nikon and, yes, CA EOS... No IS/AS/OS lenses. Sharp eye and steady hands. One of my early SLR's was a Pentax Spotmatic, which I remember fondly. Still am taken by the unique sound of it's shutter release. Once I'll add 'digital' to my equipment, it will most likely be an SLR that offers anti-shake incorporated in the camera body. The near future line-up of Pentax DA lenses sounds promising, as well as cost effective. The +/- 31.6 MP 645 doesn't need any advance accolates. The fact that Pentax teamed up with HOYA bodes well for the future. And I mean OUR, (the photographer's) future. Choice in the marketplace can only be a POSITIVE.