1) the breadcrumbs are very faint and hard to read, as are the my workplace and

logout links. Perhaps more contrast is in order, and

2) The default font is very tiny again. Perhaps it's specified on px where it

should be pt.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I have one more major dislike. The Contribute an Answer box at the end of a thread is available whether I've logged in or not, but if I type out an answer and hit the Submit button without logging in first, the site takes me to the login page, but doesn't add my response to the thread after I've logged in. It just seems to disappear, and force me to navigate my way back to the thread and re-type the answer.

Come to think of it, the link to the feedback forum seems to be buried. The only way I can find it is to click on the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page, and then look for it on the contact information page that comes up. If the link was more prominent (maybe included in the list of all the other forums) you might generate a lot more feedback. On the other hand, the site would probably slow down to a crawl again under the strain of all the rating system complaints if the feedback forum were more visible!

We'll be looking at your comments and making changes over the next few days; thank you for the feedback.

I've fixed the contribute form so you get the old "Contribute" button which takes you to the login if you are not already logged in.

I'll look into what happened to the comment editing feature.

Not being able to edit comments is a major minus of the new layout. Font is a bit on the small side and the color of the links could be a little stronger. On My Workspace I have an unnecessary empty line between every forum post that wasn't there before (not between the submitted photos though). The purple bars highlighting the title of folders seem to be misaligned with the gray background.

Additionally, the "Option," "Detail," and "Slideshow" under folder view are not separated visually. It would be clearer to keep them as separate "tab" as before.

Secondly, I also agree it is much more helpful to have different colors between unread and read items.

Also, I don't think that the light grey top banner is an improvement. I personally prefer the dark blue of pervious look.

What I like now is that it takes one less step to add comments since the dialog box is right there on same thread page when one is logged in.

There is one very interesting twist that I've found. While viewing "Top Photo," I can keep on clicking "Search" and the images per page view will keep on increasing. The TRP may show 12 images initially, but I can keep on clicking the "Search" button (regardless of filter,) and number of images per page will increase to 20, 25, 30, 35, etc. Viewer then will have to scroll a long way to view all images on the page. I'm not sure if this is intentional.

Wilson, that Top Photos behavior you reported should now be fixed not to do that.

Try holding down Shift while reloading to make sure you have the new stylesheet; that should clear up the problem with the folder view tabs.

I think the main column of text should be made significantly narrower for better readability. I just counted one line at random and found there were more than 150 characters on the line I picked. The eye gets lost. I don't know if it's web design 101 or not, but multiple sources suggest not exceeding 50 to 60 characters per line.<p>

You also need to fix the line spacing of thread titles on the first pages of each forum. Right now the presence or absence of an icon by the original poster's name is affecting the spacing, and it shouldn't.<p>

The larger question is whether it makes sense to throw all this effort into revamping the look of the forums and not change the way they operate. Are we stuck with threads that move inexorably down the list regardless of how much activity they generate? It seems that over the years since the Photo.net forums originated, the "industry standard" forum model has become one in which active threads stay at the top.<p>

I have to wonder if with the same amount of effort as is being expended to retool the form of the aging Photo.net forums (and not changing the functionality), the powers that be could be moving everything to a basically off-the-shelf solution customized to retain the Photo.net "look". <p>

Finally, this would be high time to fix the dysfunctional Photo.net site search, allegedly powered by Google. I feel for those new users admonished to "search the archives" by an old-timer who has read the same question a million times—because the archives search is broken.<p>

Here is a random example, the very first thing I tried when looking for an example. The search string was: summicron veiling flare (with no quotes)<p>

The result from the a search using the "Search Photo.net" box: <a href="http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=site%3Awww.photo.net&q=summicron+veiling+flare">LINK</a><p>

The result from a Google "advanced search" of the Photo.net site: <a href="http://www.google.com/search?as_q=summicron+veiling+flare&hl=en&num=100&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&lr=&as_ft=i&as_filetype=&as_qdr=all&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&as_occt=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=photo.net&as_rights=&safe=off">LINK</a><p>

It seems like maybe the only issue is that the "Search Photo.net" box is adding a "www." prefix that somehow keeps the search from running correctly.