Efke 25 n D76

kymtman

I had never used Efke 25 with D76 until this roll. Most generally I dev in

Folgernol soup. This roll I developed @20c 1:3 for 9 minutes at slow agitation

in a Jobo. On some frames I noticed streaking near the sprocket holes graduated

toward the center. I suppose that I should increased the speed of rotation.

Anyone else have this problem? Here is one frame of the roll. Thanks in advance.

I tried a couple 120 rolls of 25 and 100 in D76 1:1 and decided it is a low quality product not worth risking unrepeatable images. The film appears to have developed properly and rendered good image quality, that is if one considers having unussual streaks running through the film useable. The roll of 35mm I shot in a vintage camera turned out very well. I read a lot of posts about this film here and there, and there have been a few comments on problems including the nasty film curl. I think the sheet film users are having the best results. I intend to try some, but not in the field.

I also have to agree that I think the film is just ok for the price as for the sheet film. But I think 120 size for that price I rather spend my money on Tri-X;D. I process a few rolls of 120 and sheet in a few developers and got some nice shots. But after learning to cut my favorite sheet film to 9x12cm I don't buy it any more. This stuff work well in D76, HC-110, Zonal Pro, PMK, 510 Pyro and even TMax and Microdol-X. I was given 5 bricks of it. I just use it as play film for a few of my vintage toy cameras. But so far I still buy the 127 until I master to cut my 120. So far I have been lucky with a few rolls. But hey in this day and age I'm happy to have any type of film for my cameras.<div>00JwJJ-34961184.jpg.b8efb9d5b561ec2c75d4633671a0ace3.jpg</div>

Your example looks horrendous, but I wouldn't blame it on the film. Your developer is questionable, and why on earth is it in RGB?

Efke 25 is a beautiful film. I've been shooting it for going on 2 years w/out problems of any kind. I process in Rodinal, and the results are just fine. Efke 25 is the sharpest film I've ever put through Zeiss glass.

Check out Efke25 Drive and maybe you can get a better idea of what you're doing wrong.

Joe, What speed do you rate this film?

Does the lack of grain effect sharpness? I'm shooting some PanF+ now which I find to be very low grain, but not as sharp as I would like.

I shot roll of 50 recently with good results, although I also find it has a nasty curl.

I recently tried Efke 25 in 120 size. I developed in D76 1:1. I found it to be a film with a beautiful range of tones but a lot of problems with spots of trash/dust/debris in the emulsion that were not due to my processing. I had to do a lot of spotting of the final prints to make up for the deficiencies.

Since I had heard of inconsistencies in Efke products, I also shot everything with Ilford PanF+ as insurance. PanF+ is my all-time favorite film. I must admit, I like the look of Efke 25 even better than PanF+, however, I have serious reservations about using Efke film in the future.

I've used Efke 25 and 50, always processed in straight D-76 and I've never had any

complaints about it, it's great film with a different tonal range due to it's spectral sensitivity.

It makes sharp 8x10 enlargements. I can't speak for Efke films in 120 format, but it's never

let me down when shooting 35mm.

I've also read on here about people not liking Efke films, but it's like with Tech Pan... some

people have great results with it, others don't, altho it's far easier to get results with Efke.<div>00JwgX-34967984.jpg.96fa3ccc425a529a41ab02f756aad055.jpg</div>

Your film is underexposed and over developed. Yuck, sorry.

The jobo needs to be run very fast as the developer is introduced and for 30 sec more. You may then slow it down.

I have been looking at lots of your work here lately, and you really need to stop jumping from one product to another and using filters without previous experimentation.

Pick one film/developer and stay with it until it is mastered. Jumping all around will get you nowhere.

First of all, John-Paul, Great shot!

I have shot a lot of Efke 100 with good results, and next month my film order is going to be a complete Efke order for my B+W film (I mostly use Efke and Ilford products these days, I am shooting out the last of my Kodak B+W films. My only issue with Efke is that it does have a issue of curling up on you. I think that your example you gave looks off for the usual Efke shot. The one thing that Efke can suffer from is that folks with bad skin can look really poor. I guess the "Classic" match of Efke Film is Rodinal.

I've also never had trouble with Efke films curling, altho I usually give it a little pre-soak.

I've had more curling issues with Rollei Pan 25, even when pre-soaking. I'm also a fan of

experimenting and I've never had any trouble using different films, save for Tech Pan.

Otherwise, I do my developing in D-76. I also have a strong background in

cinematography, so that may give me some edge when it comes to still photography and

using different films. Sure, it may be more convenient to shoot your whole film on Vision2

500T or Double-X cause you've got all those interior locations and only one outdoor one

(or vice versa), but why not capitalize on the exterior light by using Vision2 50D or Plus-X?

and thank you Zachariah :)

@Christopher Gervais:

I don't "rate" films in a traditional fashion. I use my eye/brain + experience to judge exposure based on

1.available light

2.contrast of scene

3.DoF wanted (usually infinite using critical focusing method)

My standard time so far has been 1:50 for 10min @20gradC in Rodinal.

This gives me a nice tonal range, plus is easy to print in the darkroom (the internet/scanning is not my final goal). Plus, the grain is so fine it is sometimes difficult to focus even with a 30x grain focuser.

Haven't had any problems with curling, can't tell you why not. Will be picking up some of the Efke 50 to try out soon. I expect great things from it as well.

ps:

here's a spot for you to check out

Efke25 Drive

As you will see in the latest examples, Efke 25 has shadow detail for days.

Good luck