best sizes to sell and that I set the price. He also said that in general, an

8x10 would be priced at about $50-$80, which means I would be getting $20-$30

from each print. That seems like a decent profit for me, although I realize

overhead costs have to come out of that as well. I'm working on figuring out

the best way to print these images now...I actually have a question posted in

the Digital Darkroom forum about Epson vs. Pixma vs. Online Labs for my

printing needs--if anyone would like to offer their advice on that as well I'd

really appreciate it!

The split is about average if they don't have to actually buy the prints up front. I'm working on another exhibition now, and have found in the past it helps to have different sized prints (not of the same image though) and priced so that some people can afford to buy "something" if they like your work. Assuming the prints are framed and matted, the price is WAY too low. I would think a minimum should be in the $200 range, depending on the quality of your work. For $20-30, I don't think you can pay for the materials.

Thanks for the responses...by the way, I don't know if you guys noticed, but I put "$20-$30" as profit but that is THEIR share...I would actually be getting between $30 and $48, which doesn't sound like a terrible payday to me! Any further thoughts, especially regarding how I should print these, are greatly appreciated!

One more thing--about sizes, the owner recommended 8x10 and 11x14. He said 5x7 is not very practical and bigger than 11x14 (which gets matted to bigger) prints usually sit in his gallery for quite a long time. So, I'm going with his recommendations. I was going to put a sticker on the back indicating that larger prints are available if they contact me directly.

Michael--About costs, I'm happy to charge more if people will buy it! I'm just figuring this guy obviously has a vested interest in getting the best price and he knows what a good sale price is. With regards to overhead, can't I print and matte an 8x10 for about $5?

Thanks again for all the help!

The split is good, but the proposed selling price is low for a gallery setting. Decent profit ? Factor in the time it took you to create the images (including travel, selecting equipment, etc...) as well as to get to the photographic level where you are. Add the time it will take to produce the finished prints. Compare to your hourly wage as a surgeon.

Thanks again for the responses. About this "gallery"--it is a dedicated photography business (they may also sell paintings...I'm not sure). I imagine you may be able to sell some images for more money but you'd probably sell less of them--I'm trusting that the store owner has figured out what price is best to sell the most images while maintaining profit. The prices I gave are for UNframed--just printed and matted. I realize that the money I will be making is not going to produce a "living" for me but I don't want it to. Photography is fun and recreation to me and this is just something to make a little bit of money on the side. With that said, I do want all the profit I can get---every $1000 I make is another L lens I can buy! I do see your point about prices and, trust me, I'm going to try to make as much as I can but I assume prices are different in different areas so I'll investigate mine and lean heavily on the advice of the gallery owner, especially since he has a vested interest in me selling as many prints as possible for the highest price possible! About the sizes, I understand that many people may want bigger but again, I'm going with the advice and experience of the owner. Plus, I can put out an 11x14 and put a sticker on the back to contact me directly for larger prints--this way if someone wants a 24x36 I can still make the sale, set my price, and it is 100% profit since they will be contacting me directly. Thanks for the help--I'd love to hear any further thoughts people may have!

60/40 is about as generous a split you're going to find. I have found galleries whose split is 80/20 (you get the 20). The biggest concern is is this a legitimate gallery? Have they been around for a while and are they established? There are a number of galleries that close up for good overnight or go into foreclosure and if your work is inside at the time - oh well. It's considered an asset from which monies can be recovered.

As for your pricing, it's definitely too low for quality work unless your just providing an unmounted print. For prints I get my 11x16's and smaller done at Costco on Fuji Crystal Archive Paper Luster finish and for larger I use the Slideprinter out of Denver (http://www.theslideprinter.com/). They do excellent work for reasonable money and are fairly quick in turnaround time.

Burt Crapo

Frames can be a big part of the price of images. I find 11x14 matted to 16x20 sell well. I buy pre-cut mats, mat board rejects as backing, and inexpensive collage frames. Buy buying on sale or in reasonable quantities on line these materials to frame a print cost me very little.

You want to frame your images consistantly with clean looking frames. Most customers will reframe your work to match their decor. Don't spend more than you have too. You will still have a fair amount of labor framing the prints. Figure a reasonable hourly wage when you figure your costs.

Thanks for the responses. I will be doing all the preparation for sale. I'm planning to print, matte, and shrink wrap all the prints. I don't think I'm going to mess with frames just yet, if ever. Any further thoughts of price recommendations are greatly appreciated. I'll probably be printing 8x10 and 11x14 since that is what the gallery owner recommended. Thanks again!

I would invest a little more in frames to highlight and compliment your images, give them a real professional edge...I really like Nielson Bainbridge Metal Frames with a flat profile http://www.nielsen-bainbridge.com/Nielsen/NM-Cat-Flattop.cfm

Near your framed photographs, have a bin with your matted, shrink-wrapped images for customers to browse. You will have a professional image and customers will value your work all that much more.