I've been framing my own photos for a year or so now and I'm getting tired of

paying through the nose for Tru Vue UV glass from the local shop. I've been

googling like crazy for someplace online to buy glass wholesale, but I've come

up empty.

Does anyone know of a place where I could buy a couple of cases of good UV

glass (18X24)?

Where you located?<P>

If in the San Francisco Bay Area, <a href= "http://home.att.net/~hkcompany/

HKMain.html">Hankins-Koppel</a> carries it. On the left, click on Glass, and then scroll

down

to Tru Vue Conservation Clear. They also carry Tru Vue Museum glass, but even at

wholsesale it's very pricey. Amazingly clear and AR though...<P>

With H-K you'll need a business license and sellers permit to purchase though. Since a box

of glass weighs around 50+ pounds, probably doesn't make sense to ship if not local.

www.citysnaps.net

I'm in Western PA, near Pittsburgh.

I found a place in Pitt, but they'll only sell if I have a tax ID number.

This is really getting frustrating. I can see a markup, but an 18x24 sheet goes for around $5 wholsale, but if I have to buy it at a local shop it's more like $25-30. I'd be more than happy to pay $10 or so extra, but a markup like that is insane.

I'm tempted to just go with plain glass.

You'd be amazed at what markups are for everyday products...the one that comes to mind is ink for inkjet printers...the mark-up is far more than what you are talking about for glass. I met a guy who worked for Dow chemicals as a developer of inks for inkjets. The actual cost of some of the inks we discussed are well under one dollar per cartridge...retail price $28.00 - $40.00. Talk about a mark-up! And yet we flock to the store in droves to purchase these for our printers.

People are willing to pay a premium for quality and even for perceived quality. The retailers will always charge what the market will bear. If collectively we all stopped purchasing gasoline for 1 week...the price would drop like a rock. Of course that will never happen because people don't want to be inconvenienced by taking public transportation or missing a ball game/party in the evening. If it is inconvenient...we are not interested. (At least that is the case in the U.S.)

• 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...

<p>I realize that this is an older post but it seems like the question may still be out there as I've spent some time researching it recently. I'm still currently looking for a good source for Tru Vue AR glass on the west coast but, seemingly, I found a great resource for those in the NE.<br>

http://www.mmdistributors.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=TV%20Anti%20Reflection%20Glass<br>

From what I can tell you cen get the AR in 16x20 size for about $16 a lite (3 pak)<br>

Shipping looks great for those in the NE but is murderous all the way to Calif so I cant use them but I'm hoping to find something out here. If anyone knows aof a good source, OPlease let me know, Thanks!</p>

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...