Port Townsend area recommendations?

alpenglow

In addition to the other comments: if you like locomotives, there's an old logging one on display in Forks. Hurricane Ridge outside Port Angeles if the weather is good. Port Townsend has a lot of victorian homes which make for interesting architectural photography. I prefer the sea stacks and tide pools at sunset at the beaches at La Push. All said, it is hard to not find incredible photo opportunities in the Olympic Peninsula...and since you'll be there for a couple of weeks you'll have plenty of opportunity to check out some of them.

Some thoughts. Fort Worden, ferry to Whidbey Island, ferry (Port Angeles) to Victoria, lots of

rural roads, highway 101 south along Hood Canal and into the eastern Olympic Mountains,

highway 101 west to Lake Crescent, Elwha River, coast along Strait of Juan deFuca, and south

to the ocean (west) and Olympic NP (east), including Hoh Rain Forest. Only word of advice,

pay attention if you go on Tribal Resevations, it's not US property but Tribal with their own

laws and rules, and their own enforcement. But that's rarely a problem, just something to be

aware.

I've stayed in Port Townsend a couple of times in the last ten years, so here's a few

Important things first- if you like Ice Cream ( and maybe even if you don't) then the Nifty Fifties cafe and the Elevator Ice Cream place, both on Water Street-the main street- should be regarded as compulsory.

Port Townsend is fine but it won't keep you occuppied photographically for that long- so you need to get around. On Whidbey Island I rather like Coupeville with its pier and further onto the mainland, La Conner is worth a walk around. South theres a couple of places of passing interest of which I like Port Gamble perhaps best. Heading west its a question if how far you want to drive. Certainly Hurricane Ridge- the road leaves from Port Angeles. You'll need to check what the road clearance policy is- used to be that they cleared it for the weekends - though of course you won't be able to get the parking at the top without walking. Further west, Crecent Lake in worth a stop but for me getting to Neah Bay or La Push would make a long day trip. Seattle is of course in fairly easy reach by ferry.

With respect to, "I'll probably stay at the Hostel at Fort Worden.", I would rethink the

barracks if possible. It's cheap, but the accomodations are spartan (basic rooms with two

beds, dressor and chairs, and a common bath down the hall), noisy, and not private. They

do have the cottages worth the consideration. They're away from the barracks rooms and

more quiet.

There are several modestly priced motels in the area, including a waterfront one just on

the south end of town, a number of smaller more expensive "historic" hotels downtown,

some good and some bad due to location - one over a bar, a highend hotel at the north

end of town, and some interesting B&B's too.

I personally don't recommend staying at the barracks because while at two conferences

there several people came down with aggrevated allergies from the molds and other stuff

in the place from the moisture over 60 years. It's a great place to visit, wander around, and

photograph, but staying in them is a question. Remember it's converted WW II barracks

(see the movie "An Offiicer and Gentlemen" with Richard Gere).