Not saving as tif image, what happened

I just finished doing a complete recovery to my computer, a PC. Loaded

Photoshop CS2 with no problems. I then loaded MS office. Now when I save my

PSD file as a tif image, it becomes a Microsoft Office Document Imaging file.

What happened & how do I get it to save as a tif file so I can open it in CS2?

Help....

Hi Ron, I'm not sure what happened but it sounds like Mr. Gates has just "helped" you out. Anyhoo, a few thoughts popped into my head:

1) Is it necessary for you to have both TIF and PSD versions of the same file? I just ask because you'll eat up much more disk space and saving both file types is pretty much redundant

2) Find one of these files and right-click it with your mouse and select Properties... Is this where it says it's a MS Office Document Imaging File? and if so you might try...

3) Right-click the file again and select "Open With" then Select Photoshop then check the box that says "Always use this application to open this file" and see if that doesn't "un-hijack" it. Good luck!

I find there seems to be more flexibility in working as a psd file but my print service requires tiff files for printing. I only save as a tiff file for printing. My backups are saved as psd files with all layers intact for further editing if needed. Right clicking it & choosing cs2 to open it does work, but I'd like to avoid the hastle of having to do this & just save it as a tiff file. Thanks for your help.

Are you saying when you save a psd file as a tif in CS2, the save is not in the form <filename>.tif, but something else (whatever the extension is for an ms office image file)?

Or do you mean it opens in an MS Office applicaton rather than CS2 when you click on it?

--

Don E

I did go to windows explorer then select tools then file types, select tif and change Adobe Photoshop CS2 in the "Opens with" selection. When I originally saved it as a tiff file, I did it in CS2 and saved as a tif file using the pull down to select file type. My next recourse will be to uninstall MS Office & reinstall it selecting Word & Excel only instead of the entire program. Possibly one of the other programs in MS Office is causing this problem. Worth a try anyways.

Ron, I don't think reinstalling MS Office will help. Perhaps you might want to reinstall PS instead and give it a chance to claim the files it lost to MS Office. But did you make sure you linked both TIF and TIFF back to PS in Windows Explorer? Maybe you linked one and forgot to link the other? Especially since you recently reloaded the OS, I doubt it's some funky bug. I'd think that you can resolve it with a simple configuration change.

• 5 months later...