extending backdrop

I'm experimenting with how to extend the left and right sides of my backdrop

with little success. For instance, when I try cloning the right edge with the

rubber stamp, I always get a slightly lighter tone which highlights the seam.

Making a selection and copying, then transforming horizontally got me closer but

not close enough. Duplicating a gradated tone is tough! Anyone have a better way?<div>00JpOg-34822784.jpg.269ba064d70603155e5ece14360ff492.jpg</div>

Consider a couple of shots... one to light the object correctly, and another that over-exposes your backdrop so that you can better use it to easily make a mast AROUND the object. Then you can float the object against a completely artificial gradient using your choice of gradients (or unicorns, whatever) behind it. Below is an extremely cheesy 30-second attempt at that, given what I had to work with, and considering I'm watching Letterman at the same time.<div>00JpPY-34823384.jpg.3983f2429cadcb914d2bfcc0f6d35bcf.jpg</div>

<<Consider a couple of shots... one to light the object correctly, and another that over-exposes your backdrop so that you can better use it to easily make a mast AROUND the object.>>

er, I'm not exactly sure what you're explaining here, especially the mast AROUND part...can you elaborate more?

Well, it would help if I could type, obviously. Meant to say MASK around the object. Normally, you could use a lasso mask to get a nice tight selection around the object... that tool relies a fairly obvious contrast difference betwee the object you're selecting and the surrounding area. Unfortunately, in the shot you provided, the edges of the object are very close in value to the darker areas of the backdrop. This makes it a little harder to easily get a mask to just snap around the object. If the backdrop were brighter, it would be easier.

Once you've got a mask exactly around your object, you can copy/paste to create a new layer in your image that consists of only the object. You can then create a new layer, and fill it with a gradient or two to suit your taste... and arrange that/those layer(s) so that they're BEHIND the masked, floating object you made earlier. Then you can glue the object down on top of your new synthesized backgroud. Before you do that, though, you might need to create a puddle of shadow (and feather it a lot to fool the eye), and then play with brightness and contrast of the background layer to achieve the general appearance you're looking for.

But really, you'd have a easier time with a wider backdrop! The more brightly it (the backdrop) is lit, the easier time you'll have cloning pieces of it to clean up your finished crop.

More than one way to tackle this, I'd say! I'm not much of a Photoshop guy, so I'm sure someone a little more experienced will chime in.

-Matt

We have to do this all the time.

1. Grab a (usually rectangular) section of the background.

2. Resize the selection so it runs off the edge. In Photoshop it's Ctrl-Alt-T (free transform), then drag the edge(s) or corner(s)

3. Clean up the edges.

Attached shows part-way through the process.

If your careful it works with canvas and muslins, too.<div>00JpqE-34831584.jpg.0975048da7e27f3b264d85c7014b4411.jpg</div>

Rand: you win! Though, Dan... you'll still have to deal with that area around the foot of the object. That sort of thing is always easier when the tonal differences between the subject and the backdrop are little more pronounced. You can achieve this with better lighting, methinks. Good luck!