Honeywell Pentax 6x7 vs Ashi Pentax 6x7

jon benson

Honeywell was just the name of the US importer until Pentax USA took over, I believe using the same facilities in Colorado. Pentaxes bought outside the US carried the Asahi name, otherwise the very same gear. When the Honeywell name was no longer part of the camera brand name in the US, then "Asahi Pentax" was the name world-wide I believe. Similarly, Bell & Howell was the early importer of Canon, so the cameras were marketed and marked "Bell & Howell Canon." Sears, Roebuck's Tower brand was used on cameras from a variety of makers, including the very first Asahi-made SLRs before 1958 or so.

I have both the U.S. Asahi and the Honeywell. The Honeywell does not have MLU and is cosmetically slightly different. The Honeywell has a different film transport structure on the film door, is noisier on mirror lock up, can shoot 21 frames and is missing the second film allignment dot for loading film. Also, the Honeywell has tighter film spool pins, making loading slower (unless you modify them).

I have both as well, Steve, and they seem the same as yours. :-) Mine are about 17 years different in age, and a lot of small production changes can accumulate over that time. I daresay that a non-US Asahi branded 6x7 will be virtually identical to a US Honeywell branded 6x7 of the same vintage.