Circular polariser On Digital SLR

I know exactly wha tyou mean, especially when shooting landscapes or cityscapes with a lot

of sky, the sky can get very dark very quickly. so the effect of the polarizer is definitely

stronger or perhaps the right term is more clearly apparent. My solution is to reduce the

angle of polarization slightly by Rotating it till it looks right in the view finder and then

backing off few degrees of rotation. I use Heliopan "jet" circular type polarizers which have

reference numbers on the rotating part of the filter so it is easy to see where that visually

optimum angle is and then back off a precise amount.

JPEG settings may exaggerate contrast, saturation and sharpness, depending on the settings - similar to Velvia. With RAW images, you have the option of a more film-like appearance (a long toe in the characteristic curve). The polarization effect on sky is easily overdone, especially in the high plains or mountains of Colorado. I prefer to use a polarizer with moderation, and then to improve the saturation of the land rather than sky. Like Ellis, I back off if the sky is too dark.

Thank you. Looks like I had overdone the polarising effect punctuated by having set the saturation and color tone adjustment in positive territory. Unlike shooting with film, the variable image parameter in digital would not give an identical visual or mental impression as you would otherwise see in the viewfinder. This is something many of us may overlook when shooting in jpeg mode.