Fujita 66 Medium Format SLR

This is one of the most fun cameras. I used to hang out at a train station in

the Transvaal to photograph the (occasional) narrow gauge rolling stock. Once I

wandered into the forest nearby and found a bunch of ancient South African

Railway buildings, now occupied by squatters.

Has anyone used this camera, or the equivalent Kalimar 66? It is far more

pleasant than its reputation suggests. Cloth focal plane shutter, to 1/500 sec.<div>00JzOX-35020884.jpg.550c91947da25c9681c3b498c0506aa1.jpg</div>

My wife: Smart, pretty, and will condescend to using Ihagee apparatus if backed into a corner. The beer can is not hers. Taken with the Fujita 66 again. The normal lens is an f3.5 pre-set. The wide-angle, an example of which I don't own, has gained a certain infamy judging by a description in Ivor Matanle's Classic SLR book.<div>00JzOt-35021284.jpg.e211dc569ab490b97d9db90c65e57629.jpg</div>

The wide angle, by the way, is not so bad; and to be fair it should be judged in context: this was the FIRST retrofocus wide angle made for medium format, and was very popular among (believe it or not) Hasselblad users who had nothing to match it in their own line and so used the Kaligar with an adapter. On the other hand, it's no Flektagon either......

Rob, they're a dime a dozen in Cape Town. I just happened to luck in on a special deal. She speaks English with a posh Cape-Dutch accent and is now trying to learn Ontario English. [she lives in T'rana. She wants a double-double. Go Leafs Go]

Richard, your Kalimar Reflex webpages are informative and wonderful.

And though I love both of his books to death, I also found that some of the lens comments (especially about the various lenses that went on old folders) are quite subjective. For example, he hates the Vaskar and says that the Novar is OK, but I've seen some wonderful images from both on photo.net.

Dave

• 11 months later...

Dear Mark

Not an answer but a question (which I've posted on the medium format page): what filter size does a Fujita 66 take on its standard lens and also on its 150mm tele? And are these screw-in or push-on filters? (I'm in England for many months to come, where Ebay offers every kind of filter you could want, but my camera outfit is buried in storage back in Cape Town and there's no way I can physically examine & measure it myself until I'm home again -- and far away from the abundance of English Ebay.) I do hope you happen upon this query and can help.

Enjoy the sunshine... (and cherish that Fujita: I've had mine since my father bought it for me in about 1958, and have NO plans to change its ownership).

With best wishes

Tony Eaton