FLEA MARKET FIND

jay_frazier

Some help please I bought a Honeywell Strobonor 400 Flash for a buck It has the

cord to use on the camera but I think it runs on house current also I'll have

to get acord for it Can anyone help with a manual just want to see if it will

work Wheni mount it on my camera nothing happens P.S Great Site

These were called potato mashers when I first started at the paper. The plug under the flash is a household plug, but its made so you can use household cords to fire the strobe. Do not plug that into a 110 house hold outlet, you will smoke the stobe. This would be hard to do as you need a male to male plug to do this. You can also use this with a 500 volt battery to get very fast recycle times. I think you can still find 500 volt batteries at Radio shack .

Spend $15 for instructions.

It doesn't run on household current. The flash synch might have an AC-like plug into the

unit, but don't even dream of plugging into the wall.

You need a proper manual, synch chord and possibly battery.

Research first, purchase second - good advice. No?

I have several Honeywells and still use them for delicate lighting situations in my studio where I need an easily moveable source. Some Honeywells (potato masher's anyway) do have an AC adapter. I use them all the time. I don't know if I can even find my 511V battery pack anymore. The AC adapters are very difficult to find usually, but they are out there. I've permanently glued a Wein peanut slave on mine.

I gave up on 510 volt batteries 15 years ago when they hit $70 each and B&H as far as I know quit carrying them (although I haven't checked in years). You would also need the battery pack the 510 volt battery goes in, which hangs over your shoulder, plus the connecting cable. It's also possible that this unit has built in rechargable batteries. There should be two plastic tabs on either side on the back. Squeeze them in and pull out the back, complete with f-stop/distance scale. If it has internal batteries they'll be "sub-C" size which looks a little smaller than a regular C battery. They are certainly dead at this age of the unit so you would need to go to Radio Shack or another supplier, buy replacements and solder them together. Then you would still need the charger, which plugs into the three-prong hole that should be on the bottom next to the houseld-plug sync connection. Needless to say none of this is worth the trouble unless you really, really want to play with this strobe.