Rolleiflex Revisited

gene m

My first Rollei was a very old and beat-up MX which I cleaned and polished to brass and used until it literally fell apart. I "bought" it in trade for a photo book. Wish I had it now. I love the small and simple 3.5 Rollei MX cameras. I'll try to find a photo to post from that camera.

Gene, very good.

Beautiful Gene. I use one of my Autocords or Ikoflex's when I feel in the mood for a TLR but have been looking at picking up a Rollei. Any hints on the model(s) to pay close attention to?

Also, please excuse an ignorant Canadian and his question (although my mother is American so I'm not completely lost)but...I've been curious about the photo of all the flags. I noticed it in your website and was wondering what that is all about. It's quite a striking sight.

Beautiful work Gene. I like the way you use the square frame. I remember when I got my first TLR back in college. It was a beater Minolta Autocord. The old wedding photographer used it as a backup for his Rollei. At first I was intimidated about how to use the square, static frame after growing up on 126 and 35mm film. I asked the old guy how you could take an interesting picture using something as boring as a perfect square. He just kinda looked at me, shook his head and said:

"You kids and your 35s. You twist the camera this way, and that way, thinking you're Fritz Lang. Just look through the viewfinder and watch the edges. It's a square picture, the way God *#&*)@ intended!

Words of wisdom I'm sure Gene knows.

No wonder this is Your favourite camera, Gene. I never owned a Rollei, but I have an Autocord and I love it. I'd prefer to have the focusing knob the Rollei way, not the lever that - of course - is broken so I need to use fingernails to focus... Do you use close-up lenses? I found them useful for... some portraits, if only one approves of slightly wide angle of the lens, never tried any sort of macro though (don't have the paramender - ever tried it?). Great works (as usual)! Best regards from Poland. Maciej

Heather: <p>

I photograph my vintage cameras with a Nikon D50 with Nikon 18-55mm zoom lens. The lens weighs about as much as pair of socks.<p>

Russ:

Funny story !<p>

Maciej:

I don't own any closeup lenses and I've never used one.

Though semi-retired because of worn out mirror, my Old Standard Rollei still works in bright light when I have the patience to cope with its deficiencies. I used a pre-war Automat for years until it was stolen. One of these days I expect to post some images made with the almost mint Voitlander Superb recently acquired. Nevertheless I don't think any other MF I have owned has afforded the pleasure of my Rolleis.

Last night I saw a gentleman in Times Square with a Rolleiflex around his neck. My fiance, who is only tangentially interested in photography, exclaimed, "Did you see his camera?!"

How could I miss such a beauty? (The camera, not the guy.)

Good work, Gene!<p>

Rollfeiflexes have something unique in them... a bit like Leicas. They have deficiencies quirks, but they are just a pleasure to use.<br>

I remember with a smile the pictures I took in Boston when I visited my Aunt in <a href="http://carduus.chanet.de/astra/human_works/boston/index.html">Boston</a>. They are still striking in quality. Given the long flight over the big pond I needed a small camera to carry in my hand luggage and keep ready on my big solo strolls around the Metropole. What better thant he 1959 camera of the Grand-Uncle ?

Gene: my 1955 MX-EVS with a f3.5 Tessar is my favorite camera, too. Although no one will

ever confuse it with a Minox, I am able to carry it almost everywhere - and I do. Stopped

down to f8, it makes negatives just as sharp and contrasty as I used to get with my first

'flex, a 2.8F. These camera are the best ones Franke & Heidecke ever made, IMHO.

If you are old enough to remember the family box camera then you can easily relate to the Rollei (and its clones) because it is really just a box camera with a large waist level finder (well, that's stretching it a bit considering the focusing capability). But the images you get with it have an added quality because the photographer isn't aiming but rather just accepting the scene in the box held at waist level. I found this particularly effective with children who paid little attention to the camera because it wasn't pointed directly at them and the lower level resulted in a more acceptable perspective.