Nikon 18-200VR Availability

kevin_nix

When is this lens going to be widely available?!? Are there production problems?

It seems like there must be pretty low yields to still not be able to supply

enough of these. I was hoping to wait until the demand died down and have the

price drop a bit but it doesn't appear that it's going to happen any time soon.

What's the current wait time if I order it from Ritz or Adorama? Thanks.

If you check Ritz every morning, you might suddenly find them in stock, at a reasonable

price. It happened to me back in April when the supply was even worse! But call on the phone

if they show it immediately, don't take the time to do the web thing, it might be out of stock

by the time you click done.

FWIW, I am still hearing a wait of usually 2-3 months. One local camera store manager told me last week he thinks the shortage will last until the end of this year unless Nikon significantly increases production, something he doesn't expect to see.

One thing you can always do is put your name on a list like Ritz or Adorama. If you get one in the meantime, cancel your order. If you don't mind spending a couple hundred more, they are readily available on ebay.

I got my 18-200VR back in August. I was on 3-4 different waitlists and never got an "in stock" e-mail. On the advice of some people on this site, I was patient and played the waiting game. I saved the direct link to the 18-200 page at B&H on my work computer. Every morning after I got to work I would pull up this page, if I got the chance, sometimes 2-3 times per morning. After about 3 weeks of doing this, it showed IN STOCK. I quickly called the 800#, credit card in hand. Less than a week later I had my 18-200VR. And within minutes after I placed my order it was once again out of stock. So what I'm getting at is that sometimes it doesn't do much good to get on a waitlist - at least it didn't benefit me at all.

In late December I phoned our town's only remaining pro retail shop to ask about the wait list for this (two weeks previously they had said around a couple months and I would be 10th in line).

However, on that call they actually had two in stock! I gave them my card number and went down to pick it up.

From all I had heard I never expected this to be a walk-in, in-stock item yet, but there you are, it happens.

Guys I spoke to Brad Berger, Owner of Berger Brothers in Amityville last night (1/31/2007) he has the lens(es) is stock and his price is VERY competitive. Web: www.berger-bros.com or 631-264-4160

No I don't work for him I just have used him for many years as a customer and have always been treated fairly and his prices are good.

Thank you all.

I recently placed my name on the Ritz/Wolf Camera's list for this lens. I asked the sales rep how many people are in front of me on the list. He said "You really don't want to know". The answer was more than 2,500.

He also told me that the wait times have been more than 4 months on average.

"I recently placed my name on the Ritz/Wolf Camera's list for this lens. I asked the sales rep how many people are in front of me on the list. He said 'You really don't want to know'. The answer was more than 2,500."

Check with local Nikon Professional Dealers. Sometimes, these dealers have lenses sitting on the shelves while mass retailers have long waiting lists.

I think this 18-200 shortage is greatly exaggerated. I personally have seen it in stock for $750 at B&H quite a few times and also posted such info here several times. Of course every time there was a run for it and B&H went out of stock again in just a few hours. Additionally, it is currently available as a kit with the D200 at B&H and at my local store. If you want one without the "shortage premium," you can get it but it'll require some work.

I wonder how many people get on multiple of those waiting lists.