Can I do best photos..?

bob_katz2

Hi...I am an amateur, and after watch you amazing photos I wonder what can I

do for get better photos. I know you are profesionals, buy I will love hear

some recommendations about my picture. This was taken at tianguis:flea market

in Mexico, with Leica TTL, summicron 50mm, 1:2, with 125 kodakn and home

developed with HC110, B dil, scanned in nikon super coolscan 5000, and a

sharpen in PS, please be gently since I am an amateur but I love photography.

Regards...Bob.

It's busy, but intriguing because of all the stuff. I think it's a nice shot, well done from taking the shot to scanning. It has a nice tonal range and that Leica snap. I'm not sure I could tell you how to improve it, but I could tell you how I might have shot it differently. a) I'm not sure I like the camera angle being off horizontal, but it works. b) I might have moved in just a little closer and focused on more "stuff", cutting out the background, but you could still do that in cropping it. It might be just a little too sharpened for my taste, but very minor.

As was mentioned, nice tones. You have the processing going in the right direction, compared to me, at least. I like the background for context. I like people in the frame for scale, but this photo doesn't need scale. It looks like the weekend market held in a dry river bed in Monterrey, near where I lived when I worked in Cadereyta.

Practice, practice, practice.

Thanks very much Michael and Stephen, and yes thats the kind of market you knew. Actually this market is located on thursdays at Mexico State. I visit very frequently Monterrey NL. and a big surprise for me to find some one have been worked Cadereyta. Bob

Bob, PEMEX (Petrolio Mexicanos) is huge. There are plenty of expats working in Cadereyta at any given time. I've found some "needles in the haystacks" in the market, as I do in many street markets in the World where I have lived. The outdoor markets provide endless photo opportunities, killing two, or more birds with one stone.

Before taking the picture (or afterwards, if it was grabbed on the fly), ask yourself what it is that interested you, and does this show it? This just looks like a jumble, with nothing of particular interest to me. Technically, you need to jiggle the brightness and contrast a little so it doesn't look so coalandsnow (open up the shadow detail without washing out the sunlit areas). Being off-level doesn't bother me, but I don't think that it adds any interest to the composition. Is this a troll?