Use of a 1200mm lens

istvan_sandor

The last occasions on which it was reported as being used that I recall were the summer Olympics (at the rowing), and at the time of the death of Pope John Paul (to get close-ups of the Vatican balcony). One was also used to get "paprazzi" shots of Princess Diana and Dodi Fayed on a yacht offshore the Cote d'Azur in southern France. If you wanted to buy one you'd be looking at a six figure sum in dollars or euros.

http://www.photo.net/mjohnston/column57/

Scroll down to see the sensible answer ;)

It`s really the f/5.6 aperture that makes this lens so big, heavy and unbelievably expensive. On the slower side, there are bird photographers who sometimes use their 500 and 600mm lenses with 2x converters and also surf shooters (Keep in mind that there`s also the Sigma 300-800/5.6 and a few MF 800mm designs that can take converters and the somewhat obscure Nikon MF 1200/11. Extreme focal lengths are not that rare although they are usually quite slow).

Well if you have an old Canon FD camera sitting around, you *might* be able to find one of these <a href="http://www.canonfd.com/mirrorlenses/pages/page10.html">Canon 5200mm Mirror Lenses!</a> That ought to get you nice and close. <P>

In the photo, that tiny thing on the far right of the lens is the camera!<P>

For those who haven't seen it <a href="http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/EF_Lenses/Fixed_Focal_Length/EF_1200mm_f56L_USM/">here's a pic of the beast</a> of which you speak, I believe.<P>

I realize it's not quite the same thing but if you put the Canon 500mm f/4L IS on a 1.6x crop body (say a 30D) and add a 1.4x teleconverter, you're right around the FOV of a 1120mm lens on a FF digital or film camera.<P>

If you do the same with the 600mm f/4L IS you'd be right around 1344mm FOV equivalent. Good luck!

I was reading about the lens a few months ago, and the uses have all be fleshed out here and the article I read siad most were owned by rental agencies and leased out as needed.

As far as the "discontinued" the article I read said the lenses are special order and are not produced until ordered, so that may be why they say "discontinued".

Disclaimer: I don't work for Canon, just posting what I've read so take it with a grain of salt.

For my money I think I'ld buy a 600 and a 2X converter.

Of note though, Canon list the 1.4X and 2X conveters as being compatible with the 1200mm lens so you could by the lens and a 2x and have a 2400mm lens.

<p>Canon tends not to issue press releases when they discontinue lenses (except in the case of a lens which is being discontinued because its successor is being introduced). So we have to figure out what's discontinued by looking at what lenses disappear from Canon's Web sites and/or brochures. (This is why there was a rampant rumour a few years ago that the 17-40 had been discontinued: the incompetent folks who manage Canon's U.S. Web site somehow made it disappear for a while. Then it came back.)</p>

<p>If anyone cares to loan me this lens, I'd be happy to report on how I used it :-)</p>