AGFA IS BACK

joe_paluh1

Wow, looks like pretty much the whole line! Now, as long as its more or less the same stuff...I'm down to my last 100' of APX 100. The website says it will be available for order online soon. It also shows pictures of the films in 35 and 120. Forte, I can live without the film, although the paper is a bit of a loss. But I hate the idea of not having my agfa b&w. I sure hope the rumors of the paper coming back from Agfa are true as well. It would be a regular revival in B&W!

Thanks, William. I know they still sell the last runs, but it can't last forever. I bought 3 spools from Ultrafine, all dated 2010, and recommend it. But the Lupus site shows slide and color back as well. While I wasn't that fond of the color neg, I did like the RSX alot. I did notice another thing on the Lupus site. They market mainly to Europe, S. America, Africa and the Middle East. I emailed them about the US, hopefully we will at least be able to order it.

One other thing about the site (can you tell I'm a little excited?). It doesn't really say the are making the film. It says they have rights to market the film. I suppose this could mean they bought a warehouse full of stuff and are going to sell it. Like Ultrafine, maybe.

Joe, why are you posting all over the place on this site with such weak evidence? Here's Joe's "proof" as posted about three other places on this site:

""Dear Mr. Paluh,

we are producing new B/W film, the APX film.

Kind Regards Lupus Imaging & Media"

That's it? From that you deduce irrefutable proof they are again making Agfa film themselves? With no real name to tie this claim to? And such a short email? This seems a little thin to me.

Here's Joe's "proof" from another posting of his. A reply to his email query:

"Dear Mr. Paluh,

we are producing new B/W film, the APX film.

Kind Regards Lupus Imaging & Media"

So, an email with nary a shred of any detail and not even signed by a real name.

I'd love it if APX was again being produced but this is FAR from a definitive answer to me.

"Joe, why are you posting all over the place on this site with such weak evidence? Here's Joe's "proof" as posted about three other places on this site:"

Why are you posting this twice in the same thread?

Granted, his 'proof' is not very convincing, but at the same time you can't expect Lupus to provide him detailed information about their contracts or operations, either. I suspect if anyone else wrote them asking the same question, they'd get the same brief answer.

That said, I have to go with David on this one: when it's on the shelf (with exp. dates consistent with a new batch), it's "back". until then, it's just a rumor.

This company is located a few blocks from the old Agfa Sales Headquarters in Cologne, Germany. I checked their German Website and they clearly state that they PRODUCE and sell Agfa film.

Nevertheless, I wonder why they offer Agfa RSX II 50 and 200 and not 100. One should expect that when resuming production of a slide film you would start with the most wanted ISO rating, that is in my opinion 100 ISO. Several other shops in Europe still sell 50 and 200 ISO RSX II from the last production run. So, Lupus Imaging probably sells some batches from the last production.

Why producing single use cameras when there are plenty of other manufacturers around and sales of single use cameras are declining? Concentrating on a niche market could be a chance, but that seems to be suicide. I cannot believe they really want to start producing all this stuff.

On German ebay you could buy lots of the stuff they currently offer, directly from AgfaPhoto. Considering simplicity of web design and the trademark of the company, I doubt very much, that they are really producing film. To my knowledge, film producing maschines in Leverkusen are already dismantled and workers laid off. Probably Lupus sells some last batches and just wants to test resonance. But who knows, if there is a run on Agfa films, someone might really consider starting production again?

<i>"Why are you posting this twice in the same thread?"</I><p>Because people are getting all frothy and excited over something that does not constitute in the least proof that Agfa is being produced again. Posting a bit more info on his proof, which for some reason he choose not to post here, will better let people decide what kind of evidence we have here.

For anyone who paid attention during the bankruptcy and subsequent sell-off of Agfa assets, their production line was sold to a Korean company to make 'film' but not photographic film. The equipment and materials no longer exist. Unlike the production of the chemical line, which was sold to A&O, who now produce Agfa-branded Rodinal, etc, the film Agfa made is gone. There are (I hear) huge warehouses of the stuff in master rolls, waiting to be cut and boxed, etc. I suppose one could claim to be 'producing' Agfa film if one was doing such.

But 'producing' may not mean the same thing as 'making'.

I am skeptical, but I'll dig into it.

There are (confirmed) posts on APUG that fotoimpex is investigating reviving the manufacture of Agfa APX films. But fotoimpex has stated that this is by no means certain to happen, that substantial technical and financial obstacles are there, and that - even if it does happen - this is likely to take a long time to happen.

In other words - it's a longshot and don't hold your breath.

Agfapan is currently made by Maco in Germany. The 400 is called Rollei retro, the 100 and 25 Rolleipan. There is even a throwaway plastic camera with 24 shots of retro and if you know how to print you can get surprisingly good pictures with it. As good as with a Japanese 35mm film camera.

The complete thread is a typical example for the internet: 95% crap, 5% information. Plus a lot of people who talk about things they simply do not understand. Plus unability to understand complete paragraphs and sentences, not just picking out single key words. Plus unability to combine information from different sources, and critically weighing it.

Functional illiteracy is taking over.

Regards

Georg