favorite wide, medium and telephoto zooms in terms of optical and build

quality? I'm considering a switch to Nikon but have more familiarity with the

Canon line.

For instance, I love the build quality of the "L" lenses in the Canon line but

two lenses that I've found that are really sharp with pleasing colors are part

of their consumer line (17-55 and 70-300 IS lenses). The build quality is

actually pretty good as well. So, a lens doesn't have to crazy expensive to

have good optics and build quality.

What favorites do you folks have in the Nikon line?

Regards,

Rick

That lens sounds like a counterpart to the Canon 70-200 L (non IS), which is a very highly regarded lens.

Most of the time I am unable to take tripod along when I shoot, so I've found IS / VR to be quite valuable, especially in low light. For instance, shooting desert critters hiding in the share under a rock or bush makes hand-holding a little difficult.

Rick

Everyone will answer your questions differently. Here's my take...

For wide, I like the 12-24mm. For 'medium' zoom, I am one who likes the 18-200 VR. Many don't like this lens (see other threads). This seems to be a love it or hate it lens. I'm one who really likes it. Overall, a great walkaround lens for me. Good alternative, the 80-200, which may be a better quality lens.

For tele, there is the 80-400 VR. I am not as thrilled with it optically but the zoom range is great and VR feature is wonderful if you don't have a tripod.

I use the 17-55 and 70-200 2.8 lenses. With these two lenses, I can cover a lot of situations.

I also have an 18-70 that I sometimes use on a second body that is no slouch.

I plan to add the 12-24 soon to round out the wide end, although I'm starting to worry a bit

about investing too much in DX lenses in the event that Nikon offers a full-frame DSLR in the

near future. Not that I'll be able to afford it, but...

Well, I guess my dream zoom combo for Nikon digital would be the 12-24/4, 17-55/2.8, 70-200/2.8 VR, and the 200-400/4 VR. Except for the latter, Canon has equivalents, I believe. I think in terms of AF speed that the 100-400 Canon is better than the 80-400 Nikon. I shoot with the 12-24, the 18-70, and the 80-200 AF-D and am fairly happy; I also have the 70-180 Micro Nikkor Zoom which isn't manufactured any longer. For film, I use a 18-35/3.5-4.5 because the 17-35 was just too expensive. The 24-85/3.5-4.5 is my everyday lens on the film camera body. Just out of curiosity, why would you switch from Canon to Nikon?

The reasons I am considering the switch from Canon to Nikon two fold: Ergonomic preferences and the 18-200 VR lens.

I may or may not do this. So far, my XTi's 17-55 and 70-300 are noticably sharper at pretty much any focal length, but the D200 tends to make better judgements in exposure under differing lighting situations.

I'm not sure yet what I plan to do, though. I have both systems in hand and I am taking pictures with both. I am trying to avoid side by side comparisons and going mostly by how I feel about the images I am getting and how easy the camera was to operate.

Regards,

Rick

Probably one of the most glorious Nikon zoom is 80-200 f2.8 ED AF-D with tripod collar (I believe that Nikon "ED" is equivalent to Canon "L"). Just a classic example. But if weight and size is your primarily concern try 35-200 f3.5-4. A relatively compact, sharp with excellent building quality lens. Available in AIS mount only.

Rick, it is great that you can try both systems; I only handled Canons a few times in the store and as a long time Nikon user had my problems adjusting. Many things come out under real shooting conditions anyway. I have the D200 and love it; I might buy a second body if I get the 80-400 VR. I had the 18-200 on order for 9 months altogether, and then decided to cancel the order and make do with what I have.

Really cannot do without my 80-200 2.8 ed. The images are sharp and beautifully rendered. I have shot an entire wedding with it alone! (overcast day, with only the couple, no guests)

I also use my 17-55 2.8 as it is an amazing lens.

I have seen some amazing things done with the 28-70 2.8, but find its wide end not wide enough.

I love the 80-200 2.8. It is very sharp, contrasty and with a wonderful color reproduction. I had several of them but I like most the one with tripod collar. I find that this is also very well balanced and handling is wonderful. I am in love with this lens.

The only disappointing thing is the hood, but I managed to cut and put together the HB7 with the hood for the 80-200 2.8 S and the combination works like a charm.

Since I went digital, I have the standard trio of zooms - 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8. I'm a long time wide angle shooter and I really miss my fixed focal length wide angles from the 35mm film days. Perhaps Nikon will cater to my preferences some time in the future. The 70-200 is exceptional. The 17-55 is OK, nothing spectacular about it but fine for a zoom. The 12-24 has some strange perspective distortion that may be typical of WA zooms. Honestly, I don't know. I do know that it doesn't perform as well as my fixed wide angles did.

I'm strictly a film shooter and three zoom Nikkors handle 90% of my 35mm assignment shooting. The 20-35 2.8 is my standard lens. Very sharp and MUCH smaller than the 28-70 2.8. My 35-70 2.8 is used for a lot of location strobe work and it cuts like a knife. I have 16X20's made from 35mm chromes that are outstanding. And when I need a tele lens, then the 80-200 2.8 AFS fits the bill. Again, outstanding sharpness and the focus speed is great.

You can't go wrong with any or all of these lense. Some are very affordable right now.

• 2 weeks later...