Best Educational Institution for Photography...

caleb_cheong

After reading these threads about photography, I would like to pose the question

to all in photo.net

In your opinion which is the best institution to learn photography

professionally. Budgetary constraints are not a consideration to this question.

Also I would like to know why this particular institution the best.

Thanks

That's a tough question to answer because it's like asking someone which finance or technology or business school is best. a) nobody knows the curriculum of all of them. b) it depends on what type of photography you'll be doing. c) just because it is "the best" doesn't mean it is right for you. I'd suggest you research the top schools, talk to them, get brochures, and decide for yourself.

I agree with what Michael said. With regards to the "standards" though, the "best" photo

educations come from Rochester Institute of Technology (Rochester, NY) and Brooks

Institute (Santa Barbara, CA). Arizona State also appears to have a pretty good program,

and the Academy of Art University (San Fransisco) is good as well. I'm going to be

entering the Academy of Art Univerity MFA photo program in a year myself. However,

what I would suggest you do is look at the programs out there, and particularly look at the

student work that they display on their site. Every school has it's own style, and probably

the most important thing is to find the school that fits your style. If you go to a school

that is not your style, or not the style you want to have in your work, you'll most likely end

up butting heads with the professors, or compromising your own vision. I've even seen

some community colleges that have exceptional photography programs (e.g. Cuyahoga

Community College in Cleveland, OH).

Caleb, <br>

I would HIGHLY recommend the Hallmark Institute of Photography (<a href="www.hallmark.edu.com">See Website Here</a>) Their program is wonderful. It is a 10 month long intense photography only school. Their program is the equivalent of 2 years of regular school, you will do 1400 clock hour class time, and will spend many extra hours working. You will pretty much live, eat, and breathe photography why you are there. All the work you do is worth it because you will come away with one of the most complete photography educations you can get, they are not perfect and have their flaws, but it is a great school and most anyone who's gone there would recommend it. You will train on state of the art equipment and not long into the program will have access to it almost 24/7. You will learn portrait as well as commercial photography, build portfolios, and learn how to be successful in the photography world. Many other schools do not provide the amount of business and real world training that Hallmark does and I encourage you to look into them.<br><br>

I personally attended and graduated last year. It was probably the best experience of my life to date. It was tough and especially during the beginning was hard to get through, but everything was worth it. I met great friends, went from knowing next to nothing about photography and having zero experience to being able to hold my own in the photographic industry. I am currently in the process of starting my own business. Hallmark may not teach fine art photography, but it will teach you how to make a career in photography. There is a lot more information and specifics on the school, program, and life during HIP at this thread <a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00A6qQ">Here</a>

<br><br>

Please feel free to email me with any questions you might have.<br>

- Jules

The best creative school I've heard of is the Pasadena Design Center:

http://www.artcenter.edu/accd/programs/undergraduate/photography.jsp

Brooks has a reputation for being strong on technical but short on creative, and is not that well liked by those I've talked to who have graduated from it. I have also seen work from RIT students and it looks pretty creative, but RIT is known primarily as the best school in America for training optical designers/engineers. Also "best" is very subjective, so ultimately it's all a gamble.

Yes, Hallmark is a little expensive, but it is cheaper than brooks and has better equipment, and a better program in my opinion. A friend of mine from HIP actually lived very close to Brooks, but moved across the country to attend Hallmark. Hallmark also gives you the advantage of getting out into the real world a whole lot sooner with as much knowledge as the four year grads. And in photography, honestly degrees mean very little, it's your portfolio that really counts. No matter what school you go to or whether you have a degree or a certificate or none, if you don't have a good portfolio it won't matter.<br>

Toodles!<br>

- Jules

Public Libraries, Google, and web forums are the best institutions. I honestly think that if a person were to apply themselves, get the right books from the library and get quality critiques from web forums they can become technically a good photographer. If one has a creative eye and can compose and expose good images then practice should take them to greatness....without a stinkin' diploma!!!

Bart, <br>

To me that's like saying that if your child was to go to the library and read books about math and english they will learn the same as they will in a school. Yes, there will be the few people who will succeed in teaching themselves to the point where they become well known and can make a career, but more often then not I think people would become frustrated and give up. Also, it will take MUCH longer to teach yourself via books and trial and error than it would to go to a school like Hallmark where professionals share their expertise and teach you. If you want to make a career out of photography you are much better off pursuing some type of education whether you go to college, a trade school like Hallmark, or apprentice yourself to a photographer if you're lucky enough to find one who will take on that task. I do agree with the fact that diplomas are pretty much meaningless in photography though, it's your portfolio that counts. I don't mean to discount teaching yourself, I just think that if you want to make a successful career out of it, invest in yourself and get an education at a good school.<br>

- Jules

I just have one question for Jules...

At Hallmark, do world reknown photographers take over any classes at Hallmark just for a few hours or just take over one class to talk about their work, experience, knowledge as a photographer?

My current opinion is that on top of having a excellent portfolio, it is equally if not even more important that the institution is able to provide you the contacts when one is starting out as a photographer.

You may have a very good portfolio, but it is also pointless if you are nobody and everyone shuts their doors on you.

Hi, <br>

Hallmark has a wonderful guest speaker program. Throughout the year they bring in top photographers who come and speak about their work and experience. You also have the chance to ask questions, get books signed, and meet the photographers. Also, they have some industry people come in, such as PPA representatives etc. etc. Hallmark is well connected and if you put the effort into networking yourself you can find many open doors. Hallmarks name is getting more and more well known and often opens doors on it's own. There are lots of alumni out there to contact. Also, they have companies or people who are looking to hire photographers or digital assistants etc. come in and do interviews near the end of the year, so if you are interested you can try to get a job with them before even graduating. Basically, you will get out of it, what you put into it. <br>

- Jules

Dennis Dunleavy has currently has an article on <a href="http://digitaljournalist.org/issue0702/dunleavy.html" title="Brooks on the Brink? by Dennis Dunleavy">Brooks being investigated for frauding their students</a> over some post-college claims. I realise that colleges are resembling companies more and more these days, and something about Brooks really doesn't sit right with me. I was thinking about applying, but when I got their admissions materials and did some of my own research, it reminded me of those Art Academy and Art Institute degree mills that are all over the country. To anyone thinking about applying to Brooks, I would tell them to critically look into the matter.

<p>

Also, Wikipedia has <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooks_Institute_of_Photography#Controversy">more information about the controversy</a>.