How many photos of a group to get zero blinks?

fotografz

Recently, an Ig Nobel award was give to Dr. Piers Barnes and Ms Nic Svenson for their study of the above

"blinking" problem ( I read about it in a Readers Digest article on dubious scientific efforts, then being

curious as to their answer, looked it up on Google ; -)

Here's their rule of thumb based on research and applied mathematics:

For groups of 20 or less, simply divide the number of subjects by 3 to arrive at the amount of shots

required to be reasonably sure no one has their eyes closed.

If the lighting is bad, they recommend dividing by 2.

There you have it : -)

Interesting!. With my mom she would almost always blink when being photographed; I guess a real old habit since its in the the old family albums going back into the 1930's or early 1920's. With a camera where she could hear its shutter's M sync delay cocking deal releasing for a flashbulb it was even worse. With a rollei TLR I had the best success with keepers. I can go thru formal bulb flash Retina IIIc Kodachromes of say Thanksgiving dinner in 1963 and about 1 out of 7 would not have a blink. I guess my point is that some folks blink also not randomly, alot more than others keyed/tripped by movement or sound waiting for the camera to fire.

I'm with Ben... three shots at a minimum, then one per person as the group gets larger.

But I do think that after 10 shots it's a matter of rapidly diminishing returns. People being photographed have finite patience and finite attention spans.

Too many shots and you might end the session with photos of a group with zero blinks... but a sea of scowling faces, one guy checking his watch and the Type A dude over on the left walking out of the frame.

Be well,

Robert Chura

"I learned from a real PRO that in a group shot, you announce to to the group that everyone look away from the camera and focus their eyes to another point and when I count to 3 on 3 look at the camera. It has never failed to have anyone blinking in my shots."

We have everyone look to the ground or close their eyes :: to the count of 3 --- on a group of 50 ~~ about 6 shots Max

I only have people count if I know I have a serious blinker in the group. I rarely do it because it creates a "deer in the headlights" look from subjects. I prefer a more natural shot. I do, however, shoot 8 to 10 shots of every grouping. Sometimes I have 10 good shots and sometimes I have only 1 or two where everyone has their eyes open.

Funny that you say that David, that was Dr. Barnes answer when asked that question.

I personally adhere to Robert's approach. Lock down the camera and shoot a maximum of

three or four with a really large group ... then replace heads of blinkers one shot to the next

in photoshop. Layers allow a dead match almost every time.

I have noticed a few times that the same person in a group has a problem with blinking over and over - guess that's when photoshop comes in!

The only problem with the methods of having people look away or down are that some people can't follow instructions and it would be tough with kids involved.

or a dog...<div>00JcLR-34543284.jpg.c724ff7e1a70956fbb02bfffae803c0d.jpg</div>

• 4 months later...