Xpan price? other options?

The one on fleabay is a good price, but it will surely go up to about $2K or more once the sniper software kicks in. There's also a second version of the xpan, so you'll want to make sure you know which one it is. While the Fuji's are less expensive, they are not cheap either. I know they made a 6x4.5, 6x7, 6x9, and 6x17, but I don't think they made a 6x12.

Widelux cameras seem to go for around $500-$800 depending on model and condition. The price has come down a bit lately (probably due to the digital revolution). The Widelux is a pretty different animal compared to the XPan, however--fixed focus, 28mm lens only, and rotating panorama lens with curved film plane rather than the flat film plane of the XPan.

Hassel X-pan I and II are both were made by Fuji. The same camera sold under fuji name was Tx-1 and Tx-2 X-pan II and TX-2 had slight improvements done on older models(Don't know what I only have expirience with X-pan II) anyway Fuji model was about 20 ~ 30% cheaper and had interchangeables lens with hassel model(I think).

The quality was same. So if you are considering X-pan you check up Tx models too.

If you want to wind up with the fov of a 24mm lens and this is wide enough for you then the 45mm xpan is fine for you. The Mamiya is a Biogon type design and works out to be a 21mm fov. Of course you can get a 15mm Voigtlander lens and use it on a Leica RF and crop the top and bottom of the frame if you want 110 degree fov that is as wide as the xpan 30mm lens.

"(I) have a hard time 'seeing' the frame if there arent any guides in the viewfinder."

1. The only lines you need to worry about with a 6x7 or 6x9 rangefinder are the sides of the frame. You can crop top and bottom to your tastes in Photoshop or make a standard sized print, like 8x12 or 11x14, and simply trim off the top an bottom to get the desired framing.

2. I wouldn't shoot anything but 120 in a Mamiya 7II, but you could shoot 35mm with the 35mm Panoramic Adapter for 24x65mm Images:

http://www.mamiya.com/products2.asp?id=1&id2=24&id3=61&id4=1551&id5=1552

"(H)ow does the widelux work? (I) don't understand this 'rotating lens' bit(-) multiple exposures?"

The Widelux has a rotating lens turret with a slit shutter, and is a bit tweaky. Here are some pointers on the Widelux from actor Jeff Bridges' website. Bridges has been a Widelux afficianado and accomplished photographer for years:

http://www.jeffbridges.com/Widelux.html

http://www.photomediagroup.com/archive/2004-spring/bridges.html

<I>Cool Brad but how long does it take a 1g macbook to process the 310mb file? </i><P>

Well, I think it expands to a 922MB file internally. Not much room for anything else; like the

OS for example.<P>

Cool shot Mark...

www.citysnaps.net

so if the widelux takes different exposures, wouldnt this show up in the frame if there was extreme movement? ie. shooting a race car?

ian, when are you back in town? i'd love to take it for a spin :)

david, i saw that link yesterday and i just called. no answer. we'll see what's up. sounds like a VERY nice price and it's local