-a Pentax 645 (non N) with 75mm and 45mm at a price of 580$

Which one should I choose?

I like the portability of the Pentax, because I'd like to use the MF camera as

a reflex, but I don't know the pros and cons of the two systems: which one has

the best lenses? Is there any issue about the two cameras I should know? Which

one is the best "bang for the buck"?

Please, help me!

Personally i'd go with the Pentax 645,

I've handled the Mamiya 645 but found it quite awkward to work with and the lenses are not too good if you ask me.

The overall quality of the Pentax lenses is great and it's handling is quite practical and enables you to work quite fast when needed.

If you'd like to use the camera as you would a 35mm reflex camera then the Pentax is the obvious way to go.

But it's all very personal so the best advice I can give you is to try both out yourself and draw your own conclusions.

well.. i can sell my pentax 645n mint with 3 lenses for USD 1.000.00 you can see my portfolio too :) 954 822 8729 (florida) i have the papers from KEH showing that i bought for $1200.00

answering the question: pentax off course :)<div>00JWgH-34437484.thumb.jpg.4e1d7ccfff30995facd9319c30d024d8.jpg</div>

Compared to the prices on that big internet auction site you could be paying double as much as if you bought the stuff there separately.

<p>

I have used M645 gear extensively, but not P645, This is due to the fact that Mamiya gear is much mor abundant on the used market and therefore very inexpensive. So I cannot really compare the two systems, but the M645 has an excellent reputation and offers a great system -- you won't find a fast 80mm f/1.9 anywhere else this side of Hasselblad or Rollei. As both system are made by professional camera-makers, I guess the lenses of the two systems are pretty equal and differences in use and features are more important. Research these and make up your mind what your requirements are (i.e., no mirror lock-up or interchangeable backs in P645, unlike the Pentax <abbr title="through-the-lens">TTL</abbr> flash is only available in the latest Mamiya Pro TL, etc).

<p>

If you want to use your camera only with a prism, I'd recommend the M645 Super or later models (like the M645E) because the accuracy and brightness of the AE prism is mucher better than in the older models (M645, 1000s, M645J). If you love to work with a <abbr title="waist-level finder">WLF</abbr>, then it doesn't make much of a difference, but keep in mind that the P645 has only a fixed prism finder.

I've not had the problems with lenses that the other poster had with the M645 system. I find them very reliable, affordable, and available in a wide range of options. I have two M645 bodies, 5 lenses, and a number of other accessories that I find completely up to the task and not at all awkward. The Mamiya system is widely used and there are a large number of lenses available on the used market for very good prices. As you have presumably noticed, people can be very loyal to their system, and I am no exception to that rule. I have, however, evaluated a number of 645 cameras and found the Mamiya best suited to my personal needs.

There is a lot of talk about lens quality, and perhaps the other poster had done extensive testing on an optical bench, but in my experience (30+ years in photography) people who can look at a selection of prints and tell which equipment each print was made with, even given a list to choose from, are very few and far between. Both the systems that you mentioned are very capable of producing high quality results, so I would consider the type of work that you would like to do and then see how each system meets your needs. Worry less about 'quality' (until you can make that call yourself) and more about functionality, cost, availability, service, etc.

- Randy

You don't say which Mamiya body was being offered to you but, the main differences between them are:

1. Mamiyas have interchangable backs on all but the simplest models. This is an important feature if you like to shoot more than one type of film at the same time.

2. The Pentax weighs less and is more compact and has the metered prism and motor drive built in, whereas the metered prism and drive must be purchased separately for the Mamiya.

3. The Pentax lenses are all of uniformally excellent quality (except for perhaps the 200mm), whereas the eariler Mamiya lenses are not. The latest ones, though, are excellent. You just have to know which are which.

Also, having owned the Pentax, I can say that it is built like a tank, virtually nothing ever goes wrong with it except for the occasionally meter problem (which I never had but I have heard that others have), which is rare. But I do have a friend who owns the Mamiya 1000s and, as far as I know, has not had any problems either.

The key is which Mamiya body is being offered to you and what features does it come with. If it the simplest model without the interchangable back or metered prism, then the best buy is the Pentax. But if the Mamiya is a later interchangable model with metered prism and a motor drive with the latest lenses, then the Mamiya is the better deal.

You don't say which Mamiya body was being offered to you but, the main differences between them are:

1. Mamiyas have interchangable backs on all but the simplest models. This is an important feature if you like to shoot more than one type of film at the same time.

2. The Pentax weighs less and is more compact and has the metered prism and motor drive built in, whereas the metered prism and drive must be purchased separately for the Mamiya.

3. The Pentax lenses are all of uniformally excellent quality (except for perhaps the 200mm), whereas the eariler Mamiya lenses are not. The latest ones, though, are excellent. You just have to know which are which.

Also, having owned the Pentax, I can say that it is built like a tank, virtually nothing ever goes wrong with it except for the occasionally meter problem (which I never had but I have heard that others have), which is rare. But I do have a friend who owns the Mamiya 1000s and, as far as I know, has not had any problems either.

The key is which Mamiya body is being offered to you and what features does it come with. If it the simplest model without the interchangable back or metered prism, then the best buy is the Pentax. But if the Mamiya is a later interchangable model with metered prism and a motor drive with the latest lenses, then the Mamiya is the better deal.

Thanks, Mike: that's what I needed! The camera is a 645J (this is how the seller named it).

Consider that I'd use this camera principally just like a 135 reflex, but with a bigger film format. I do reportages, trying to document people's life.

My first medium format SLR camera system was a Mamiya 1000S way back in the early

1980s. I loved using it but the mirror shake was a bit of a problem. At the time, I had the

eye level prism sans meter. The lenses were only "ok" compared to the Rolleiflex TLR and

Nikon 35mm system I had at that time.

The next MF SLR system I had was the Hasselblad 500C/M. No auto-return mirror but

seemingly more vibration on releasing the shutter than the Mamiya. Waist level viewfinder

only for that one ... the prisms are too large and heavy for me. Liked using it, never used it

as much as the Mamiya. Better lenses, by far. Still no meter in the camera.

Recently, I've been loaned a complete Pentax 645 kit with 35, 45, 120 Macro and 200mm

lenses. The viewfinder is excellent, it's about the same size/weight as the Hasselblad

overall (with comparable lens, of course) given that the Hassy has a WL finder only. The

lack of interchangeable backs is not a detraction to me. The built in motor drive is a

decided plus ... a little noisy but makes shooting a few frames much more fluid. The in-

camera metering options are super. The lenses seem about on par with the Hasselblad,

more or less.

But what made my jaw drop was how utterly vibrationless this camera is when I release the

shutter by comparison to the other two. I've made hand-held 1/20 sec exposures with the

120mm lens that have nearly indistinguishable camera motion blur, which I was never able

to do with the Mamiya or Hassy without locking up the mirror first.

I'd go with the Pentax.

Godfrey

The M645J is the old trimmed-down entry level camera. Personally, I like it as I don't use missing features the other models offer (mirror lock-up, faster top speed on the 1000s). It's weights even less then the M645 and fits well into my hands with the waist-level finder.

<p>

But, as I said before, you are seriously overcharged for that kit. I have bought and sold lots of M645 stuff, and you can get much better deals. And while the prism finders of the old 1970s models is pretty decent, it is quite a heavy piece of glass and brightness (and therefore critical focusing) is not that great in available light. Better take a <abbr title="waist-level finder">WLF</abbr> with it.

<p>

Or, get a M645 Super or a later model that has much better AE prism finders. For best 35mm-like feel, also add the motor grip which improves workflow even more. If quick reportage-style photography is your thing, I would hesitate to take that M645J kit offered. But unlike what some posters wrote, the M645 glass is very, very good and leaves nothing to be desired. I seriously doubt that you will see any difference in image results between the two systems.

Alessandro, if what you're wanting to use it for is mostly handheld and fast or spontanious action, then you would find the Pentax a more usuable camera because of it's light weight and compactness, which is due to it's built-in motor drive and pentaprism. It operates virtually like a 35mm camera only larger. As for price, check out KEH. You might find it cheaper there.

So I think the way is Pentax! Above all because of its portability, and for the fact that I can use it as a 135 reflex...

Mick, where did you find one at that price? Here in Italy they cost at least 500$...

I should buy from US: I've seen an online shop, shutterblade.com, which sells these camera at very good prices. Is it reliable? Or should I prefer other shops, like keh.com or b&h?

Thanks everybody for all your answers!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...