Surgery photography tips ?

Hello everybody,

Im supposed to take some pics at my friends project (he is a surgeon and will be

operating a pig, with his team) at a vet. college. Any tips on how to do it

best? I know some basics, have a Canon 20D, 50mm macro, ringflash.... I was

wondering do I maybe use 14-40L instead because of the framing or will the 50 do?

What I am affraid is that with this lens I will have to get very close to

shoot.... any other tips?

thanks sincearly,

Alex

Operating room lights are very bright in a small area, so you will need some sort of fill flash

both for exposure and for color balance. Ring flash should do nicely. The 50 mm lens is too

short. You will probably need at least 100 mm macro so as not to contaminate the surgical

field. If the surgeon is going to point something out, make sure he wipes the blood off the

instrument or his hands. Most surgical instruments are very shiny so they're best left out of

the picture. Also, doing a water/saline irrigation before the photo cleans things up. It's nice

if you can get the camera straight up above the surgical field, so an angle finder might be

useful as well.

thank you all , guys!

hmm.... 100mm..... yes, I did think that the 50 might be too short ;-( ... maybe I just put my 70-200 2.8L on the camera and not tdo the macro at all? how does that sound?

And yes, how do I sterilise my camera? I suppose I cant get any liquids on it and high heat is also not an option...

thanx once more!

A.

Alex:

Operating room photos fall in two broad categories. The overall room and the surgeon is one issue sure to be a lighting nightmare. The other is the operative field. Most operating rooms start with fluorescent lighting. The operating spotlights are intense and light the operative field. They are usually incandescent. Finally surgeons more and more wear headlights of one halogen mix or other that casts another color. The bright lights will easily be beyond the dynamic range of any film or digital camera. That said, shoot with a regular flash to light the room suffiently. The yellow cast of spotlights is not bad and will accent the operation. Shooting without flash in natural light will get some interesting mood shots.

The operative field is usally illuminated sufficiently to shoot without flash and is incandescent. Unfortunately most surgical fields are red and there is little to distinguish and contrast the anatomical structures. Certain microscopic operations lend themselves to excellent anatomy demonstrations. Mostly the operative field is pretty boring to photograph. Distance is the main consideration. A close focus, macro lens 50mm will get you too close to the field. 100mm is adequate. I have simply used an 18-200mm Nikon zoom to frame the field. Operative fields can be messy [bloody]. That is distracting to say nothing of bothering civilians. Ring flash or no, I just used the pop up flash on the camera and the lighting has been adequate combined with ambient spotlights.

There is no need to sterilize your camera. That was hilarious to read. You will hold the camera and it will not touch the sterile field. Just use a rubber band to contain the strap so it doesn't swing down and touch the field inadvertently.

Lastly, it has been my observation that most OR photographs are too wide. So be sure to get in a little closer. Try to stay focused on the subject of interest. Operating rooms are more casual than you anticipate. Just let them know you don't know what you're doing in a sterile field environment and someone will gladly direct you and prevent any inadvertent contamination. Good luck.

Sounds like Victor Ho might actually be a medical photographer and know what he's talking about. I also loved the confident and authoritative advice to sterilize your camera-- one of the better things I've read on photo.net.

Unless they're a small operation, the vet college is likely to have their own photographer, so you might get pointers from him/her. Many surgeons are decent photographers and take their own operative photographs nowadays. At least that applies to the human variety-- I don't know about vets.

Probably best to know what the photos are for-- are the photos to accompany an article in a journal, for undergraduates, graduate students? The team may have a good sense of what sort of images they're after, try and get as many details as you can ahead of time. Just my preference but sometimes the inclusion of another object such as a ruler can give students a sense for the scale--when size matters. Good luck!

I have photographed a dozen or so operations,mostly on people but a couple on animals,including,gorilla, dogs,cats,hawks,and even a horse. When photographing people having surgery you must stay out of the Sterilized field as Victor says above.If you start feeling queezy sit down on the floor or on the floor against a wall. Nothing stops a operation quicker than a person fainting in a operating room. I saw a PR woman for the hostipal do a face plant during a surgery one time, its not a pretty sight. I also have photographed several knee surgeries, both ACL and knee replacements ,one just 2 weeks before I had a total knee replacement, its one of those things that its better than you not really know what going on.