Monitor mode?

sandiegojoey

The other day I was making my first attempt at portrait photography with my D80

and two flash slaves (sb-800 and sb-600). I lucked out and for the most part

my shots came out pretty good. One problem I have is that although the LCD on

the back of the camera is great, I'd love to plug my camera into a laptop when

shooting portraits and get a larger, more detailed view of my shot.

Is there such a thing as a "monitor" mode or interface on my camera?

Thank you,

Joey

Here's another cheap-and-sleazy approach. Assuming that 1) You're shooting JPGs, 2) You're on a Windows XP (or later) machine, you can plug your camera into a USB port and have its file system show up as a folder on your desktop. Choose to display that as thumbnails. As you shoot, new thumbnails will appear in that folder. You're a mouseclick from seeing them full-screen. Remember, though, that MS's preview (which actually works pretty well) is going to take some liberties with color and contrast, trying to make it look nice. I've used this technique when shooting while tethered to someone else's machine, and it's nice to know you have an option that uses only what comes with the operating system. But if you're in RAW, you've got to get another application involved.

Matt Laur Photo.net Patron, jan 12, 2007; 09:12 a.m.

Here's another cheap-and-sleazy approach. Assuming that 1) You're shooting JPGs, 2) You're on a Windows XP (or later) machine, you can plug your camera into a USB port and have its file system show up as a folder on your desktop. Choose to display that as thumbnails. As you shoot, new thumbnails will appear in that folder. You're a mouseclick from seeing them full-screen. Remember, though, that MS's preview (which actually works pretty well) is going to take some liberties with color and contrast, trying to make it look nice. I've used this technique when shooting while tethered to someone else's machine, and it's nice to know you have an option that uses only what comes with the operating system. But if you're in RAW, you've got to get another application involved.

Microsoft has a Raw Thumbnail & Image Viewer that you can get here.

[link]http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=D48E808E-B10D-4CE4-A141-5866FD4A3286&displaylang=en[\link]