cheap lighting?

vicki_parkin

Viki,

I went the Alien Bees route. I purchased two of these www.alienbees.com/b800.html - one large softbox, one shoot through umbrella and two large light stands. To me, this was the best bang for the buck, quality set. I use these several times a week, without a problem for two years now.

Hope this helps,

Johnny

Used Quantum Q-Flash and Turbo battery is a great set-up. Umbrella, light stand. No outlet needed. The older Q-flashes have auto and manual mode, which is all you would need for both studio and location work. Newer ones are more expensive, but give you TTL with newer digital cameras.

There are so many different ways to go it's mind boggling. First establish a budget, then decide exactly what you plan on using them for and where (is portability or cordless important?) and finally do a lot of research. Also, if you have a good professional camera store in the area try renting first. This is the fasest and safest way to learn what you like and what you don't.

Years ago I started out with SP Excalibur monolights and still use them. They just keep working and I keep buying more heads, so I'm sort of stuck on them. I really like the controls and robustness of the system.

The other thing to check for is the guide number of the flash, not just watt seconds. GN will help you compare power capabilities on a shot by shot basis, where WS helps you understand the general power and next-shot capabilities.

When I shoot on-location stuff (mainly fashion and little architectural), I usually rent Broncolor, which is one of the best system available in my opinion, but the cost is breathtaking. Other features I like about the SP Excalibur:

- Available in 1600, 3200, and 6400 WS, plus the kits are reasonable.

- Adjustable power sliders for both modeling light and flash.

- Built in slave (so you can use it without PC connection). Also has PC to 1/4" connection to the back.

- Beep signal to know when they're fully charged again.

- Lots of control over turning model lights on or off, slave on or off, etc.

- New versions have an auto-power dump to discharge the capacitor when turned off. See: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=Search&A=details&Q=&sku=129711&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

While I normally say, "buy locally", BH Photo has the best prices on this system.

Set your camera in manual mode to see if will trigger a separate strobe- go to some store and ask if you can check it with some kind of monolight.

I have a pair of Digipopper 300's from Adorama that work quite well. They are cheap and light weight.

You can put a peanut slave into the PC socket on the strobe cord and put it somewhere it can see the camera flash but still be out of the picture.

You can also use a business card to reflect the light from the camera flash back toward the monolight.

If your monolight has the slave on the back and you use an umbrella the normal way then the monolight will usually pick up the camera flash fairly well.

• 3 weeks later...

Vicki-

Just so you know. I've been looking for lighting myself for a little while now. Alien Bees seem to be a good choice. Not just for a lower cost, but they seem to have a good reputation for quality. I'm ordering mine soon. Just be careful about going too cheap. Better to spend a bit more and have them do what you need them to and last a while than settle and wind up un-happy and spending more a year later. Been there, doing that!

-Anthony