D80 RAW Software

Having to start over for reasons unspoken. Just got a D80 and am adding

lenses as we speak. Would like to shoot in RAW (NEF). Am inquiring what you

all think the best software would be for me. Currently, I am still using PS

7.0 and the PP 1.7 disc that came with it. Works OK, but would like something

more streamlined in the process. I am a software hound and use several pro

versions for film and audio, so rant and rave on.

However, via some good buds in the industry, I am getting several

recommendations. Here they are and thanks in advance for your input before I

buy.

1. Upgrade to CS2 (can get at a very good price per my wife's educational

discount).

2. DxO Pro.

3. Phase One--Capture One Pro.

4. Nikon Capture NX.

5. Or, several combinations above.

I do a lot of event photog, some weddings, some portrait, and a lot of video

with photog integration.

Am just now shooting for art's sake and liking it.

Keep me focused!

dc

I'd og either to PsCS2 or to Photoshop Elements 5 (if on a PC -- Elements 4 if on an OS X

Mac.) Yo ushould also loo kat Adobe's Lightroom , which is free while still in Beta form and

uses one of the very best of the raw converters available.

Among other things there are a lot more reeducatiuonal resources for Adobe's Camera

Raw program:

"Real World Camera Raw" by Bruce Fraser, "Photoshop CS2 RAW by Mikkael Aaland to name

two of the better titles.

There is also the http://www.photoshopnews.com blog published by Jeff Schewe. And

there are Russel Brown's tutorials ( http://www.russellbrown.com ) available as a series of

free podcasts on iTunes. Also at itunes are the Lightroom podc asts (also free) .

David, the Camera RAW book by the late Bruce Fraser is excellent. If you want to learn about CS2 and Camera RAW, this video is quite good:

http://shop.photoshopvideos.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=8&zenid=d67d9a15495c5a0788217e508d1ac0ea

And you may be able to find it at mail-order places such as bookpool.com and get a pretty deep discount.

I would stick with PhotoShop because it is pretty much the industry standard.

Shun:

I most likely will stick with PS since I have been using it nearly everyday for a long time. I can get the CS2 Suite Premium for 375.00 through my wife's school which I will probably do because I do a fair amount of web work as well. PS CS2 runs 285.00, it'a a no brainer to get the other tools I would use as well for only 90.00 more USD.

And, I am familiar with Adobe's gui's and software architecture.

Just time to upgrade.

Thanks,

dc

David

I am going through the same process as you are. I have had a D80 for a week and have been shooting in Raw+JPG. I have been a long time Photoshop user, but recently switched to PS Elements 4 and now PS Elements 5. I updated Adobe Camera Raw in both for the D80 and started seeing what I could do with the Raw files. I wasn't overly satisfied with my results so I downloaded Nikon Capture NX. I quickly had better looking (and printing) images than I got through ACR. Both have a learning curve which I am sure is the issue I have with ACR, but to me, Capture NX is more intuitive.

Keith

Keith:

I have read a lot of threads with the same results you are having as well. Hence, my patient wait before a purchase. I do like NX and have used it and found the same as you, notably in how NX handles noise as opposed to PS. Since I shoot a lot of events, this is important to me even though most of my work never hits print, but rather on the web or an ezine. One poster I am getting to know and trust has turned me on to DxO which is very cool. Love what I am seeing there on screen and print as well.

It's a toss up now, and I really should go see my wife rather than obsessing here in my studio.

Thanks!

• 2 years later...