Great idea , why didnt i think of this before!?!?!

meatwagon

On some occasions you just have to make do with whatever you have around you. So I think grabbing a nearby cup is a good Macguyver solution in that situation. (I've been in nightclub scenarios before where that would be useful if I didn't have my Gary Fong Lightsphere with me.)

There's many neat homebrew flash modifiers out there, from the clear film canister to the index bounce card to the bowed tissue paper.

One that I use regularly is the DIY cardboard grid spot:

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/10/free-and-so-easy-diy-grid-spots-for.html

One that I'd like to try sometime is the paper mini bouncer: http://www.diyphotography.net/homestudio/blz/flash-mini-bouncer

Trying out all this DIY-modifier stuff is a great way to learn what you can and can't do in different lighting situations, and with just found household objects.

And whatever it is, be it a paper cup or your left nylon sock, if it works for you and your shooting style, then all the better.

Keep on experimenting and happy shooting! :)

1st of all it as sunpakk 555 mounted on a minolta/pentax digi camera. The shots turned out quite good. Yeah im sure its been done before but ive never seen it. And i agree with you guys, its not about anything, its about anything, you make with what ya got. Yes a milk jug would look halirious, i shall try it this summer at a wedding! haha Thanks for the links too.

>Jamie

I did more weeding back in the 60's, and a great deal at Woodstock (yes, I was actually there), but never needed tinfoil. Everything seemed adequately illuminated. On the serious side, the new Gary Fong

ugly-gizmo-that-appears-rather-weird-but-works-quite-nicely is a chrome-plated version of the Lightsphere that reflects double the light. Very effective in increasing flash effectiveness. Better than tinfoil. Happy New Year to all!