Anyone try the new Rollei Ortho yet?

pics

I haven't heard many thoughts on it, which seems a little suprising since it's

the only ortho film available in roll form. B+H still doesn't have it in

stock but Freestyle apparently sells it at $12 a pop. I'm interested in

trying it out with some "character-type" portraits where facial features and

skin textures are sharply defined. Just curious if anyone has any examples

out there and what dev combos people are using.

Thanks.

Dan

Dan, I shot a roll of Rollei Ortho film on Friday. I rated it at 25 and shot outdoors in bright

sunlight with a Haze-1 filter. My subject was an Asian female and she wore a white dress.

I'm bringing it to the lab Tuesday...prolly develop in Diafine 2x3 to tame the contrast. I'll

post some results when I get the film back.

As for creating an ortho look out of pan film, you can shoot Efke 25 or 50 - it's orthopan

film and use a green filter to create the ortho look. It's been discussed here before in this

thread:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00J79Y

There's also a company in California called Harrison & Harrison (I think) and they make a

50cc filter (I think that's the name) that will turn pan film into ortho film.

Thanks for the info. John-Paul, I'd definitely like to see your examples of this film. The filter idea is one that I haven't tried and may be a good alternative considering the price of ortho film. At any rate, I'd still like to try the Rollei and see if it has any other characteristics I like that can't be easily duplicated using filters on a pan film. Thanks again.

The Efke25 is an ortpopanchromatic film, not straight ortho however. My trials with it were most succesful, shooting alongside Plus-X on a sunny day.

I've ordered a couple of rolls of the Rollei ortho from Robert Vonk, which should be here before too long. The shots I've seen from it look quite promising.

I'm planning on processing it in Rodinal and Amaloco 74.

I took my Rollei Ortho to Kelton Labs in NYC...they gave me a choice of a high contrast development or continuous tone. I chose continuous tone given the already high contrast of the film...I'm gonna try high contrast developing next time around tho. I also asked them to note how they develop the film, I'll post that info too when I get it back. As for image scans, hopefully I'll have something up by Monday night...Kelton doesn't scan so I'll have to bring it somewhere else.

Joe, when you said your trials of Efke 25 were successful, did you try the green filter test to convert it to ortho? Or did you just shoot it as the orthopan film that it is. I shot some Efke 25 this past Friday...it was really bright out and my subject was an asian female and had a tan. I didn't use a Y2 filter as I normally do but still I got darker tones than I did when I shot my sister with it, who is caucasian.<div>00JMy6-34250884.thumb.JPG.df46a3a42e5f08fdf7b7fa76adcef6fe.JPG</div>

"Joe, when you said your trials of Efke 25 were successful, did you try the green filter test to convert it to ortho? Or did you just shoot it as the orthopan film that it is. I shot some Efke 25 this past Friday...it was really bright out and my subject was an asian female and had a tan. I didn't use a Y2 filter as I normally do but still I got darker tones than I did when I shot my sister with it, who is caucasian."

I shot it as the orthopan film that it is. However I was shooting architectural shots, not portraits. Your shot looks fine to me, I'm not sure I'd want much darker skin tones than that. Of course the Asian skin tones appeared darker, that has to do with the film's sensitivity to her tanned shade.