Business Card Critique?

sean_r2

Well, along with finally registering for Photo.Net, I've decided to try my hand

at designing a business card. The content of the text will surely change as

soon as I get my business license and website running. In the meantime, I want

to figure out a nice graphic design. I've narrowed it down to two designs, and

after seeing how incredibly helpful everyone on this site is, I thought I'd ask

for your opinions. Thanks.<div>00JNcx-34265384.jpg.aedc1618b6b19c6180e2947c5fa9f8b0.jpg</div>

I'm glad now I picked 1 over 2 in the first place. :D As for balancing out the color and black and white image, that was something I struggled with, as I really didn't want a blank white background.

In designing this #1, I found that strong, dark colors were far too distracting (purple, blue, red) so maybe it's time to switch to low-intensity hues. Should I try a super light creme color for the background? Or would that coloration also distract from the black and white image (and thus just leave white as the best choice)?

Although I love the font, now that it's been pointed out I see how it's a bit busy for a 3.5x2 format. I'll try some stuff along the lines of an italicized Times New Roman.

Thanks for the help so far!

Just a comment about card #2: The image reveals too much trace of your brush used for dodging at the left side of the lower text.

Why don't you guys try to make something like text on a BW pic outstanding by selecting another color, foilstamping or partially coating it?

Card 1 would be my choice although I'd need time to get used to the washed out red used there.

I'd be very careful with respect to printing #1.

The thin patterned background border around the photo may get cut asymmetrically

during the card's

trim process. Since the border element is so thin, any trims that are not perfect will

produce borders around the left/top/right sides of the photo of different widths. As

those borders are so thin to begin with, slight differences will be readily visible.

Better to have the photo bleed off the sides and top - and making sure the subjects are

not too close to the left and top edges. Talk to your printer, first.

www.citysnaps.net

Sarah: I'm definitely not going with Card #2, now. The irony of the whole thing was working on the gradient was one of the longest processes in designing that card.

Jochen: What do you mean by foilstamping and coating? As in, at the printer putting foil or embossing ink into the lettering? Or is that an effect with Photoshop?

Hi Sean! I don't really like either card. They both feel much too busy. Remember that

business cards are small. You want the information to POP. The overlaying of the images

and the outer glows (?) and the text is very confusing. Think in terms of a very, very

simple,

clean approach, with little room for printer error. (The issue mentioned above re: the trim

lines is VERY valid!)

<p>

Have you considered printing a two-sided card? That would give you more room to

organize

your information, and image, and perhaps your logo. We have our cards printed by <a

href="http://www.overnightprints.com">Overnight Prints</a>, and their quality and

pricing is excellent.

<p>

I suggest that you showcase a full-bleed image on one side of the card, then have your

logo and contact information printed simply on the other side.

I agree with Tana. Those designs look dated. I'm not a big fan of business cards with pictures on it and specially with fonts glowing. I would say keep it simple and try to come up with a simple but consistent design. There are lots of books about business card designs that you can use for ideas. If you go to a place like Borders you can find those. Good luck!

Based on my previous post and the responses to it I am obviously not an expert at designing business cards, but I have a couple of thoughts.

The trimming is extremely important, expecially if you choose the rounded corners that overnightprints offers. This wil certainly be a problem with #1. Unfortunately their template does not tell you where the cuts will hit so you have to be careful.

Other than the previously mentioned amputated fingers in #2 the rings also look out of focus. I realize that this one is out of the running.

I think that we both are trying to go for more than just a simple "here is my name and title" business card. We want one with an image that displays the work, almost like a portable website or sample book (I'd love to have several cards with different images). I have seen this successfully done.

Some here seem to disagree with that approach. Thats fine. They may be right.

As others have mentioned on my post, perhaps a two-sided card would work. Could you put the image from #1 full size on one side and then your business information on the other side. I recognize that the problem with this then is - "Do you just do basic business card formatted text?". I think the answer may be yes. Or maybe you can get somewhat creative with text positioning/formatting.

I guess all of this depends on the audience. A more artsy crowd might like the artsy formatted text and image. The average bride/groom might like something else.

I'm going to try some "market research" with a few images to some non-photographers. They may completely agree/they may not.

A few rules of thumb for designing your cards:

1 Keep it simple. No borders, no frivilous embellishment.

2 Keep it fresh. Use a font and colors that don't scream 1965.

3 Display some credibility. Having only your name and phone number on a card tells me

that you could have printed this thing in the back of your Firebird, ala Jim Rockford.

Clients like to know you have a place of business, or at least a post office box for some

stability.

4 Cards in landscape mode fit Rolodex and other systems more uniformly, being easier to

read and store than verticals.

5 If you can, make the card just a tad bigger than the standard 3.5 x 2 inch card, say to

3.5 x 2.125 inches. That makes it stand out from the others, and it still fits storage and

filing systems.

6 If you want, or can, print an image on the back, with more details of what you do and

how you do it, in more marketing jargon. Use the front of the card for contact details.

7 Print on heavy stock. It's more durable, and clients remember it over the more

lightweight stocks.<div>00JNoF-34268584.jpg.468b1e8f9c4c4b08b7f811285745c2ac.jpg</div>

Sean, please know that I mean well. I feel that neither of these cards/designs/photos give

the best first impression. The images, in and of themselves, are fairly weak and unpolished.

In your case, I would scrap the image idea all together and choose a simple color and layout

with a strong and sleek design. A solid color background, in and of itself, will separate your

card from that of other business cards that may be roaming around in a potential client's

wallet or purse. Create more mystery by not showing an image up front, and getting clients

to call you or visit your website (which you really need to have if you're going to be in this

business).

I agree with the above. Keep it horizontal for people who will file it, and ALWAYS put moer than just your name and number. ANYONE can print that from their home computer.

I order most of my cards from www.VistaPrint.com. Not only are they cheap (or free) but the freedom to arrange text & designs is great and the weight & gloss if perfect.

I say go with the idea right above my comment. That looks great. Maybe change the color of the font to red to stand out.

Neither look good, looks like it's back to the drawing board for you.

1. the b&w pic and red flower is quite ugly to be frank

2. the wrinkly fingers are too stark

As others have said, keep it simple, as BW illustrated.

A lot of responses and I'm glad for all the help, so I'll respond one-by-one.

Brad: Thanks a lot for the trimming metaproblem! I had never even thought about what havoc such a small edge to the card could cause.

Anne: I'd seen it suggested here over and over, and yet I hadn't thought of a double-sided card myself. :-/ That is a dang nice idea. In regards to your second post, I rather like the image on the card, but you have a point about trying to direct eyes to a full web gallery. I guess one good point to be made for solid color rather than image on a card is that the client won't make an overall judgment based on a tiny 3.5x2, or smaller, image.

Tana and Leo: Yeah, as much as I like the font, gotta agree with you that it looks dated. And I *used* to like that font. Oh well, my trials with simpler, normal fonts is showing Times works really well.

Brian: Yeah, I definitely am trying to avoid the simple name & number card. I think what's causing me to clutter it up is my being used to the card of the guy I used to assist. His card had something like 5 images on it, and a busy colored background, to boot! Not that I'm blaming him, just that by comparison one b&w image clashing with colored roses seemed a lot less busy in my mind by comparison. I definitely know better now, and am very glad I posted my ideas here for critique.

BW: Thanks a ton for the tips! I absolutely love your sample there, as it beats my Card #1 Mark II that I was working on and what you said about Rolodex filing, it works better there, too. I'm thinking I'll try something like that, with maybe Roman. Personally, I'm not such a fan of sans serif fonts. Then again, if brides like sans over just plain serif, I may have to change my mind. ;-)

Anesh: To the drawing board, indeed. The positive point to those two funny designs is that I've learned what *not* to do. Heh.

J.W.: It's probably a regional thing, and in fact all the "official" spelling I've seen of it around my part of California is "XV Anos." I was pretty sure the spelled out one was "Quinceanera" though.

Michelle: Two recommendations for VistaPrint, and I've seen it recommended and talked about repeatedly in this forum. You know, I just may go with them.

Everyone's been a big help. Thanks so much! Looks like after reading these new critiques, I'll be scrapping Card #1 Mark II (looked a lot like Card #1, sans flowers and font). I'll be working on Card #3 and a possible color-only Card #4 as Anne had suggested.

I ordered 2000 business cards (of two different types) for myself from www.overnightprints.com on Monday night and received them in the mail today (Thursday). I'm really pleased with them and with the prices - $39.95 per 1000. Here's the image I used:<div>00JO9r-34272684.jpg.4f2b0e1b308f4f40b31d0da8ed3e5ae0.jpg</div>