FOOD P(orn)hotography

nanette

Hi PNers,

I originally posted this under 'Photography Books' but I don't think anyone will

see it, so I hope this category will do.

I am currently doing food photography. I work in a studio with a 3 light set up

and a DSLR. I have been successful in getting the shots but am looking to make

my images a little more exciting. I've been through several book stores to

search out a good photography book with no success and am reluctant to buy over

the Internet because I don't have the option to actually flip through and make a

decision. Can anyone suggest a good food photography book that shows different

lighting set ups and ideas for food styling? The only one that looks decent to

me is one by Lou Manna. Also, are there any good food photography sites out

there that anyone can recommend? I've done a google search but I mostly get

stock sites.

This site doesn't have much on food photography, so recommendations to other

photo sites that do would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!

As a chef/restaurant owner, I can not point out any food photo books that are very good. I've a stack of them. I shoot digital and bounce the flash off the ceiling and the results are "acceptable". Lou Manna's work is really nice, and he probably spends 8 hours on each shot. I usually shoot plates as they are going out. It used to be that all the good food shots were done with view cameras for the flex and tilt. I had a 4x5 and it did nice work. I just got a lensbaby. I'll see what that does on a digital camera...Food styling is an entirely different "art". I have taken a few courses on it, from a Chef's perspective, and if you have a specific vision in mind I might be able to help. My "styles" have been on "Great Chef's of NC", Travel and Leisure, US News and World report, Metro Magazine, US Air magazine and a bunch of others.....Warren

Lou Manna's work is excellent. Pick up a "Real Simple" magazine or coobook. Very nice,

simple, well composed images.

Great food photography is quite a talent. Bad food photography is a sin.

Here are a couple of other resources:

http://www.foodportfolio.com/blog/food_photography/food_photgraphy.html

http://www.shutterbug.com/features/1204insider/

Hey Nanette,

I've been working as a part time food photographer for about six months now. I haven't found any real good food photography books either. Looking at cook books as mentioned above is what I ended up doing.

Also there's a very good magazine, "Plate", that tends to have great editorial food shots. I've got a lot out of studying the pictures.

Are you working with a food stylist? A good food stylist can make a night and day difference.

http://www.plateonline.com/

-Tom

Rick Souders has a pretty good book out in which it shows you the shot, and then shows the diagram of each light set up next to it and explains it. And he does some very nice work. It includes a lot of other things aside from just food, but I believe thats the majority of the book (we have it at Hallmark) I've only gotten a chance to flip throgh it, but it looks very good.

www.soudersstudio.com

http://www.tatteredcover.com/NASApp/store/Product;jsessionid=abcS-quTg9EOyg32vHr-q?s=showproduct&affiliateId=000081&isbn=0817433090

Nanette,

Some more ideas for you - "Lighting for Food and Drink Photography" by Steve Bavister, "Food Photography and Styling" by John F. Carafoli are two great books that specifically address lighting and composition. Delores Custer, a NY-based master food stylist is currently working on a book that highlights her 28+years as a food stylist, but I am not sure when it will be published. Peripherally, there is the "Artist's Manual" published by Chronicle Books that addresses color and composition, "Ways of Seeing" by John Berger, a academic tome on perception and imagery, "Interaction of Color" by Josef Albers and Color Theory Made Easy" by Jim Ames - two color theory books, and "Persuasive Imagery: A Consumer Response Perspective" by Linda Scott and Rajeev Batra - an excellent book on advertising imagery and the mechanisms of human perception. Hope these are helpful.

-Gene

It is all about styling the shot. I find the Donna Hay and Martha Stewart magazines to be good

references. Tyler Florence from the Food Network has a couple cookbooks that contain some

beautiful images. In the beginning, it's all about the food and then you'll start to create

enviroments.

Wow! Thank you so much for all of the information! I will definitely check each and every one of them. You guys are awesome.

I am currently working on a variety of cookbooks that specialize in various cultures, so I find there is a lot to know about how to create a shot that clearly resembles the recipe and its heritage. This is my first time doing studio work, so it has been a welcome challenge and a great (yet at times, very frustrating) experience.

Happy New Year!

You might find Chili Pepper Magazine worth looking at as well. The styling is simple but effective. The subject matter is inherently wildly colorful and textural, and from what I can tell the lighting setups are very simple. I'll even bet that the magazine does all their own shooting and styling, because the "look" is so perfectly consistent within each issue, and even from issue to issue.

Nanette,

Your food photography project sounds intriguing. I have an extensive background in food prep and hold a masters degree in food studies. I also have a cookbook library with over 1500 volumes. I may be able to offer some useful advice and resources, or simply another brain to pick, if you so please. You can contact me here, or offline at gene51@optonline.net. I'm more than happy to help.

Gene