Two a la carte configerations vote please.

seb v.

The view of the topside benefits from the red dots on the MP style rewind knob. - OTOH I love the M7style crank's feeling, so I suggest to try in your image editing software if dots on the crank might do the job too.

Hey, and make sure which of the letherettes feels better. A reasonable custom choice might be cheaper than paying Luigi.

Carry on with the painful decission what to pick.

Seb, I wanted a low-profile look and I went for the black paint finish with black saddle

leather, no Leica engraving on the top, and traditional MP accoutrements. I have had it for ~6

months and I would not change it now, even if I could. IMO black paint looks and wears

better than black chrome, and the overall effect is classy and understated. YMMV, as they say!

George

I had a BP MP and to me it felt too retro. As a 'new' Leica user I see the M as something extremely modern - pared down to something exquisitely simple. I know the Canon-Nikon crowd with all their bells and whistles and mega pixels are going to laugh at me but in all seriousness, I bet if everyone on Photo.net were asked to choose their one-lens-desert-island camera an M would be very near the top of the list.

Sooo...that's why I like the black chrome no-script version - it's mat t, non-reflective. With the new 50 lux and a stripped-out .85 viewfinder that would be my desert island outfit. I would really miss the M7 winder though the MP one makes a sleeker profile. Love the vulkanit, looks great with the black chrome.

Seb, I bought my MP just before the a-la-carte program started, and so I was limited to silver chrome or black paint. Between those two finishes, for me the clear winner is the chrome.

Black chrome and silver chrome is a harder choice, but if you know you don't want chrome, the choice becomes easy.

I would choose the body covering based on feel rather than look. My MP has the finish of bath tub non-skid strip, which I cover with a Luigi half-case. If I were buying a la carte, I'd definitely go to a dealer with a Leica store-in-store (I think that's what they call it) and handle the different coverings before making a choice.

One things for sure: any Leica is a good choice. You really can't go wrong.

Seb, do I read you correctly? You bought and sold an MP because the black

paint was too conspicuous and too retro?

A twice-as-slow M3 style rewind knob on the other hand is, for unobtrusiveness' sake,

compatible with your perception of the inherent modernity of the Leica M design?

Following: the helpful/informative part of my contribution...

It is config*u*ration. After all you will pay around 200 quid for this word.

I cannot help but finish with a truly classical piece of advice: sleep over it - for a month or

two.

Cheers, Peter

Ignore what my brother says. If it's subtle you're after, you want <A HREF="http://

images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://static.flickr.com/

39/86116492_e0cff10d9b_m.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.flickr.com/photos/90464130%

40N00/

&h=180&w=240&sz=20&hl=en&start=11&tbnid=ab0nJKJUhiRp6M:&tbnh=83&tbnw=110&pr

ev=/images%3Fq%3Dgold%2Bleica%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%

3DG">something like this</A>.

I have the black paint MP. I like everything about it except for the slippery covering on it, which I solved by using a Luigi half-case. I would recommend #1, but if possible get it with the Vulcanit covering. Or maybe with real leather?

One of my MP's is a black chrome .85x with black ostrich leather in classic wind / rewind and signature in yellow. I love the black chrome and ostrich. I have another MP with silver chrome and red leather. You might npt like the red but leather is much nicer than vulcanite and the black chrome is excellent.

"One of my MP's is a black chrome .85x with black ostrich leather in classic wind / rewind and signature in yellow. I love the black chrome and ostrich. I have another MP with silver chrome and red leather. You might npt like the red but leather is much nicer than vulcanite and the black chrome is excellent."

Don Dudenbostel....or Elton John? ;>)