Should I take my D200 ??

sonya brady

Dust is a fact of life with digital sensors. Do a little research to see what methods are available to clean them. I've never known anyone to send their cameras back to Nikon service for this job - but then I haven't heard from everyone either.

The usual problem is lint, not dust or sand. I suspect most lint comes from the camera bag or your pockets. Since I vacuumed the inside of my bag and dusted the rear end of my lenses, I need clean the sensor only every two or three months. Even in dry. dusty Spain for three weeks, I only had to clean the sensor twice.

If you drop your camera in the sand, you will have more problems than dust on the sensor. If it's windy, you could wrap the camera in a Zip-loc bab just as for rain, and keep a protective filter in place. Wind-borne sand can knick lenses in an heartbeat.

Hi Sonya,

<p>I know how you feel. But, I'd say go for it girl! Take your D200. I've gone on several trips to Asia now and I've devised a stratedgy that works for me. Always take two cameras. A less expensive point and shoot whether film or digital for general use and a special camera such as a Nikon D70 or now my Nikon D200 as of today. </p>

<p>My technique is never use bags that call attention to themselves and scream steal me I'm a expensive camera! I use old school bags. Of course I bring my cleaning kits and do the cleaning myself. Its not hard to learn. I also take along a digital wallet such as a Epson P2200 to immediately back up and safeguard my images. In the hotel room if you can't keep your gear in a locked cabinet or suitcase then keep it in the hotel safe. Don't forget copies of your theft insurance and receipts proving proof of ownership.</p>

<p>I've found the best safeguard is to avoid showing off or flaunting your gear. The only gear that I'm really casual about is my little digital point and shoot.</p>

<p>

Good luck!

</p>

Ted Calbazana

>>Wow Kelly, that's an aweful lot of gear.......<<

<p>

Yes, but the good news is I only have to schlep it through the airport. I <b>do not</b> take the whole thing out in the field with me.

<p>

Cameras are tools. Just like I don't use a screwdriver to pound a nail, I'm not going to use my digital to capture a landscape I may want to enlarge into a 16x20 to grace my wall.

<p>

Likewise, I don't generally use my MF to snap off street candids. Occasionally I'll pre-focus on a selected spot and wait for some interesting to walk through the depth of field, and then snap a shot. Generally, though, I use a 35mm for street candids.

<p>

The most important thing is to enjoy yourself. I enjoy taking and viewing photographs. I have thousands of images from around the world...and I'll be getting more from Charlottesville, VA and Annapolis, MD this weekend and Miami next week. The joys of jets!

<p>

Kelly

Sonya, don't worry about the sand. The D200 is weather sealed - one of the many reasons some of us bought it! I live at the beach and am constantly on the sand and after a year have had no problems w/my D200. My last Caribbean vacation I took an 8 mp p&s and got some good shots. I also took my Leica rangefinder for b&w. Traveling light is the ticket. If you are a professional looking for images to sell then you should take the D200. But then it becomes a "working" vacation...

Take it. You could just as easily drop the camera in a nice climate controlled, dust-free studio next week.

If the D200 is your tool of choice for photography and you're going to a photogenic place where you would be disappointed if you missed some fantastic photos b/c you were ill equipt then you'd be disappointed. Take the camera, protect it from the sand and dust as best you can, but use it.

Take the D200... I used it on assignment in rural <a href="http://shuttergypsy.blogspot.com">Haiti</a> and it survived beautifully through dust, rain and even a nasty fall (well my shoulder beared most of the impact. I also took along my 17-35mm2.8f lens and my 18-200mm lens...my Holga as a fun film camera and my Nikon 8008 as a back up in case my batteries went completely dead (all 7....no electricity and running water). Also in my bag were 3 heavy duty trash bags which gave me peace of mind when a downpour hit. I didn't this trip, but a lot of times I take my digital point and shoot for fun pics or scouting out locations...it fits in my pocket and it's easy to hide....just remember you have to be vigilant about your equipment anywhere you go.

Good luck and have a good trip.

Sonya,

Don't forget to consider the end use for your pictures. At Christmas, instead of running

around with my D2x and an SB-800, I used my F6 with a 50mm F1.4 lens and some Portra

400. It was natural, and the end usage was prints for the family album. Pretty small kit,

too.

On a caribbean VACATION, I'd probably bring my F6, a 35mm F2 and a 50mm F1.4, and

lots of Provia 400. Then enjoy your vacation slide show when you get home. If you find

something worth a stock upload or enlargement, have it professionally scanned (or take

the time at home to do it properly yourself). I've found that an F6 and a small lens is very

small and not nearly as noticeable as "pro" gear. My wife and kids complain less about it

too...they feel like I'm there to vacation.

This all being said...a D200 is smallish, like the F6. So, take the D200, a 35 and 50 (very

pocket-able lenses), and challenge yourself to be creative and zoom with you feet. Enjoy

the art of "making" the picture instead of just "taking" the picture.

I don't blame you Sonya. Whenever I go to sandy places (like the beaches near my home in

Florida) I leave the digital camera at home and, instead, take my Leicas. The Leicas are a

lot easier to get really clean and the lenses do not seem to get dirty as long as you keep

the caps on them when not in use.

Scanning is a lot of fun if you have a lot of time to do it. Prints from scanned images look

different from prints made from original digital images. I said "different" because I don't

choose one over the other. Each variety has its own unique appeal. I prefer film for beach

photography, but that's just me. I have had good results from Nikon digital cameras

photographing in snowy or Alpine conditions. YMMV and photography with battery-

dependent cameras in cold conditions requires extra precautions.

Good luck!

I have a D200 and I would not risk it. I have a number of camera's that I use and I decide which would be the most appropriate for the trip or shoot. What the end product will be used for etc. IF I am going to be at the beach or sailing I will take my FE2. For landscapes I use medium format. For most everything else I use the D200. I prefer to take care of my equipment but I also want excellent results. The FE2 is capable of very fine results but yet I am not so worried about it and will slosh around in the sand or water to get a shot. I was waist high in water with it last summer attempting to make it to a natural bridge..No way would I be out there with a $2000.00 rig.

I think you should take the F100 and go with it.

Here's why:

1- Film is still the best stocking option, if you have to choose;

2- You can't get any sensor dust-scratched;

3- If you have to take your new $$$ camera, act innatural for fear of damaging it and miss the shoots you are there for, then leave it at home.

Camera is just a tool, isn't it?

This is a fun thread, couldn't resist...

Of course you should take your D200. I typical travel with a few thousand dollars worth of gear on any trip I take. I pack my Hasselblad 501CM (+ a couple lenses) and then I bring my F100 with a couple lenses, oh and my wife brings a digital P&S. I was somewhat concerned about bringing my Hasselblad with my after I bought it (and spent a small fortune on it), but you'll get over it quickly when you see the results from your D200.