Shooting in M mode only or most of the time?

Carolyn<br>

Mostly amateur, but sell some sports and event photos.

I use aperture priority a good deal of the time for typical daily shooting. However, when shooting sports or other similar, fast-changing action, I strictly use manual mode. This prevents varying backgrounds (crowds, sheets of ice, clouds, etc.) from confusing your meter and throwing off the exposure on your main subject.<div>00JDvR-34053384.thumb.jpg.332aafc211fa04b4bd0b3f8cdb9731b5.jpg</div>

I am a professional and I shoot only in Aperture priority,unless I am shooting under controled lighting using strobes,such as in a studio or a lit sporting arena.I never use program modes as you never are quite sure of what you are going to get.When I am shooting under controled lighting , I shoot in manual.

Amateur. Aperture priority most of the time (with liberal use of the exposure compensation settings). Full manual as the easiest solution when I don't want to let the camera re-adjust exposure for a while.

I only recently moved to a dslr (which was also my first move to cameras with anything beyond aperture-priority automation). My first reaction to the 'variable' program ability on the D80 (it starts with a program setting but you can still dial in a different aperture, resulting in a kind of 'souped up' aperture priority automation) was to think that it was pretty cool... but I seem to have reverted to aperture priority 90% of the time.

Hobbyist. 50% manual, 50% aperture. Most often I shoot aperture mode first, and if it works (or doesn't), switch to manual using the suggested reading and make appropriate adjustments.

Even if I shoot in AV mode, I still keep an eye on shutter speed as show in VF and adjust aperture accordingly.

The thing that I keep forgetting to do is to use Program modes to check/test my exposures versus that of Nikon's incredible knowledge base. A lot of years have gone into these modes (something like 60000 of Nikon's best ever exposures). So, thanks for reminding me.

Anyways, I use M for most things. On the D70 you have no choice but M for AI/AI-s lenses. I bracket a lot of my shots and M gives me a status bar showing how much is under and over exposed as well as amount of the bracketing.

For fun shots of the family, the Portrait mode is good enough for me. All I sometimes do is to set the black and white points. The way skin tones are rendered is better than what I can do in PP.

That's sort of like asking carpenters how many use nails vs. how many use screws.

I use the most appropriate tool for the job at hand.

When I want the same exposure no matter what, I use manual. (Using studio strobes or in severely backlit conditions that I know will fool the meter.)

In sufficient and "normal" light where I don't worry about the shutter speed, I use aperture priority.

If I'm worried about changing light conditions and still being able to hand hold, I'll switch to shutter priority.

I'm not sure if I've ever shot program mode with my current cameras.

Eric