Gitzo 1548 and 1505 equestion

yellowwoodguiding

Thanks to a very nice Christmas bonus from my boss I was able to pick up a used

Nikkor 500mm f4 P in excellent condition.

I just upgraded my tripod head to Acra-Swiss B1, and currently have it on a

Bogen 3221GN. Now for the smaller Sigma 170 - 500 with camera and tc the Bogen

was very stable, but with this new monster Nikkor I've come to understand why

the Bogen 3221 and related lines are not noted for being extremely strudy. The

tripod legs wobble like a fishing pole, and they also twist adding a lot of

unwanted motion to the lens. Please not I've read everything I can find on

proper long lens technique. Nose is jammed into the body, hand on top of the

lens to focus of course and to dampen vibration.

What I would like is the equivilent of the Gitzo 1548 (without column) but have

it in alumnium. What model would that be?

On B&H I've found the G-1505, what's the general concensus on this model? I do

need something with legs that will have an indenpent leg spread, and can get

down to nearly level for macro stuff as well.

If not the 1505, whats the recommended Gitzo that is sturdy enough to handle a

12lb rig on the B1 head, that is not carbon fiber.

John,

Arthur has a new book on CD Birds as Art II, it didn't get published, but I plan on getting it very soon.

I've looked into the 1410 before, and the legs don't fold out to wider positions. Since I go from birds to macro in 10 feet of trail I've come to find a tripod that can get down low with the likes of alpine tundra flowers, I need legs that get really low.

The 1505 is a 4-section tripod, and is the closest to the 4-section carbon 1548. The leg angles on the Tele Studex tripods have three positions, and extend nearly flat. This is one big, heavy (9#) tripod. You have no idea how big until you get your hands on one. I have a 1504, which weighs 12.5 pounds, used mainly with a 20# video camera.

My observation is that a Gitzo CF tripod is not only lighter than aluminum tripods in its class, but nearly as stiff as the next larger series. While you can't go wrong with a 1505, you should look closely at a 1325.

I concur with Kent. I use the Gitzo 1325 with my Nikon 500mm f 4.0 P lens with a Wimberly model I gimbal head. I used to use a Bogen 3221 with a Kirk BH-1 ball head with the 500mm. The 3221 was not sturdy enough. I tried a friends Gitzo 1340, the metal version of the 1325 and found it to be OK, but when I tried a 1325, I found the CF model to be lighter and sturdier, so I bought the 1325. I am glad I did.

If you want aluminum, here are your Gitzo choices(model number and weight of the tripod): 1340, 6.4 lbs; 1410, 8.4 lbs, and the 1500, 9.5 lbs. None has a center column. Lugging around 9.5 pounds of tripod could restrict your use of the lens. I would get the 1410. Joe Smith

All of the aluminum models will get low for macro work--between 4.3 in to 7.5 in depending on the model. All of the models I recommended are three legs extensions. I prefer the ones with fewer extensions. The 1505 has 4 vs 3 for the 1500.

The 1325 is carbon fiber, weighs 4.5 lbs and gets to 4.3 inches off the ground for macro work. This minimum height is the same as the 1340's.

Joe Smith

I used a Bogen/Manfrotto aluminum tripod for years (I forget the model # but it was pretty much standard). It was OK for lenses up to a 400 f.5.6, but when I bought my 500P f/4 it was not rigid enough. (Especially with a 1.4X TC.) The Gitzo CF tripods had just come out and I found a new 1228 for under $400. I have been using it ever since with the BH-1 head and Sidekick. Except in high winds it has never let me down, and I have dragged it over most of the US, Mexico and S. America. If I were to choose today, I would probably select the 1227, or its current equivalent, as it goes slightly higher and is faster to set up, having 3 sections rather than 4.

Thank you for all your experience and advise. After a lot of looking, and realizing that the 1410 does have multible angles to go down to 7" or so, I went onto Ebay. Amazingly there was a 1410 in mint condition ending today which I won and saved $50.

John and Joseph, I shall hold you both accountable for every imagine out of focus, even though now its probably going to be me not getting those little bird eyes razor sharp.

So now, after spending all that money on an amazing 500mm f4 P, new Acra swiss head, and now a very sturdy gitzo I suppose I should start taking some pictures.

Thanks again.

• 1 year later...

The Bible said; "In the beginning . . . . . "

Yesss! In the beginning I had a Manfroto, chipy, then a bigger Manfroto, then a same size Gitzo CF, and, then

I realized how stupid I was. If I am more clever, I would buy a god tripod in the "beginning" and the new Gitzo

Q 1505 MK2 aluminum tripod would cost me mach, mach less in the end, buying all those useless tripods.

Even the big Gitzo, not enough if I mounted a 500mm lens on it.( I have the biggest Gitzo ball head on it. ) (

I'm planing to buy the biggest and heaviest CF tripod.) . . . . . My advise to you, to buy the biggest tripod you

can carrying, or hire a person to carry your tripod for you, and save many for it. And you going to be happy

ever after. The carbonfibre is better then aluminum, dumping the vibration more, them the aluminum, and

lighter to carry. Do not cry, to spend Over 1000.00 dollar for it. It is more important, then anything else. Make

no compromise or your life going to be miserable.

Cheers; Bela Molnar