NIKON VIEW most recent update doesnt allow for d80 edits

glenn_losack

n spite of its existence i never thought NView would be helpful until yesterday

when i started to see how it allowed me to rotate D100 NEFS.

and to auto fix and see if my images were sharp so as to keep or trash them. I

got hooked. I then went to my D80 files and it doesnt work.

I am told that D200 is NIKON VIEW compatible. Many of my files are malrotated

when they appear on the desktop of OSX.4.8. I need to rotate them 90 CCW or CW.

I cant do that with D80 NEFS now!

can you please tell me if you are soon to make NVIEW ( its great ) compatible

with the D80???

Auto-Response

There are so many new DSLRs every year now that NikonView is probably not catching up. Typically, you need to wait a few months after a new DSLR is introduced for software such as NikonView, Adobe Camera RAW, etc. to catch up with the new model names.

Think about it, just within the last 5, 6 months, we have had the D2Xs, D80 and D40.

Although there's always been a time lag between introduction of a camera and 3rd party raw converter support, Nikon View used to keep up pretty well, sometimes even preceding the release of a new camera (I believe one of the new model names was 'leaked' by someone who examined text strings in the program). However, my impression from postings in other forums is that development of the original Nikon View (along with Capture 4.x, which it probably shared code with) has now ceased - I think the D200 was the last supported camera. Nikon tech support now says: "Nikon View is an older software package which was included with Nikon Coolpix, D-SLR cameras and COOLSCAN Scanners." If Nikon View Pro is ever released we may get a replacement (but not a free one). Picture Project is supposed to replace NV as the free browser/basic converter, though in some respects it's markedly inferior to NV (PP has no true raw adjustments, except in an 8-bit PS plugin, which looks like deliberate crippling of the package since the main PP application can write 16-bit tiffs without adjustments, while NV had 16-bit support with basic adjustments in both its Editor and PS plugin). Oddly, Nikon doesn't even seem very keen on making the latest releases of PP available for download, though they're included with the cameras.

I thought Nikon was going to drop support of the new cameras in the old software ... sometimes progress is backwards.

Nikon view is annoying because it doesn't show edited nef files properly. It displays a very low res version on images edited in Capture or NX. Also it doesn't support color profiles. But it seems to be much faster for browsing than Capture (or NX).