would like some information

antonio_n

I am new to the forum world and im a little confused, I have posted a few

questions and read many more, and a few things really jump out at me and i

would just like to see if i can get some insight.i thought this was a place

where people could ask a question, get some feedback from people who loved

photography. im taken back that most questions about bussiness, money,art,ect.

are met with

theres no money here

its not art

its not more than a gloryfied hobby

and some people attack with a mean streak like ive never seen before

i feel this is like a furniture builder saying i hate chairs they dont sell

and you should not buy one! if he hates it so much why does he do it?

now not all here is bad. is it me or? is it just i got the wrong threads to

read please. help me understand. i talked with a artist once he told me that

he didnt mind talking with people about his trade, because he wanted to

continue the art. why cant we have the same thought?

If you like this forum great, enjoy and share your knowledge. If you don't cheers to you and I hope you find a new one. Much of what looks like snippy remarks or mean spirited comments are directed at folks who are too lazy to research their problem and roll into the forum asking a question that has been completely covered and at times it congests the more original threads. I also think making statements as to what is or is not :good, artistic, pretty, the best way to do something, the best printer, cameras etc. is also a big frustration for "regulars" here.

If you feel photography is a glorified hobby then that is your opinion - do not be surprised that is may not be shared by all those who visit.

We are what we are - warts and all.

that is not what i said i think it is very much artform the basic felling i get from the answers leads me to belive that is the feeling of alot of people here

2 if that is true it is that repeat questions and questions that they feel come from a lack of research why do they even answer the post save the ill comments for somthing else they answer to take a stab at someone. and somtimes a beginner will stumble across the form and get blasted for a question that they feel is beatdown now im not saying i wasnt happy just confused at the responces

Well, there is a lot of money to be made in photography. I've no idea who would not see

that unless they are expecting to make money from an easy-money view or their own

esthetic, or special interest when it doesn't fit a money-making niche. Making money is a

business. The business people I know enjoy the making of the money and don't identify

much with their product. It's a daunting idea to a new, passionate photographer.

There is nothing whatsoever 'wrong' about photography being a hobby, or even a personal

quest, or personal 'art'. Glorify it and be happy. However, it is rather unrealistic to expect

to become a critically aclaimed artist without making the effort to understand that rarified

area. It can be trecherous. So be it. (And frankly, I'll bet many people would rather not be

"an artist" after they realize some of the social baggage that comes along with it.)

Find your niche, your peers and be happy. They are here. See the feature where you can

mark certain people "as being interesting". Eventually, perhaps, you will find some friends

who share your unique views!

pico thanks

very well put i think i was misunderstood i think photography is awsome i didnt say i thought it was a gl.hobby thats what i read i guess i just got a little frustrated i think people should be kind to beginners and take a little time to help not hurt with bold statements after all you dont want to scare people off and i just found the button thanks for that info and thanks for all answers

Antonio,

Like you I'm new to the forum. Photography began as a hobby and a way to preserve images of my wife and 3 daughters. In my quest to capture the best shots of my girls I've fallen in love with the art and the technical aspects of photography. I too wanted to skip ahead to the "secrets" of this art and was hoping that somewhere out there I would find a web site that would tell me everything I need to know, i.e. a shortcut.

I've since learned to enjoy the journey along with the trials and tribulations that come with it. Take your time, read the endless posting on this site and study the beautiful photo's. But most importantly learn to love the journey and you'll appreciate your future success that much more. I know that someday I'll post beautiful images on this site, but until then I'll have fun making over exposed, blurred, oversaturated, poorly executed works of art.

"Art is an experience, not the formulation of a problem"

Lindsay Anderson

good luck,

Joey

Antonio, I have to agree with Alan. Writing without punctuation and capitol letters invites hostility from some of us. I'm a horrid speller, so I tolerate that more than some, but without periods I can't figure out where one thought ends and another starts. Very frustrating for us simple minded folk.

That said, I agree that there is way too much hostility vented around here at times. Part of that is the frustration from answering the same questions over and over. (BTW, your comments have been made and discussed repeatedly too.) But the other part is some people are just rude when they are safely behind their keyboard. In addition, a lot of what people think is hostile is not. It's simply the writer being brief, or direct, and is commonly misunderstood by the other posters who lash back, and soon a war develops. Nations have been doing this for centuries.

Also, the internet in general tends to be focused towards gear more than art. Techies create the forums and techies are the first ones attracted. Photo.net is certainly not an exception to that rule.