detailed instruction in a pdf file on the Epson 4870 yahoo group but it appears

that this group no longer exists. I therefore emailed Epson but their reply was

to take it to an Epson service centre. That would be fine if it was under

warranty but it isn't.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

David

• 2 years later...

<p>It actually isn't bad. There are four screws at the bottom. Remove them and place the scanner right side up. Gently lift the back of the unit. Once it clears the bottom section, slide it forward gently and continue lifting off.</p>

<p>Most of these older Epson scanners outgas quite a bit and are not well sealed for dust so I always left the screws off so I could quickly clean the bottom of the glass.</p>

• 3 years later...

<p>Just wanted to add, for anyone else out there, that on my Epson 4870 Photo the approach was different.</p>

<ol>

<li>Remove the top cover, which will include the grey "hinges". This pulls straight up.</li>

<li>Remove the smoky, black cover from the front, the one with the scanner label on it. This just snaps in and out of place.</li>

<li>In the two holes where the hinges were are screws that hold the top of the scanner in place. Remove these.</li>

<li>Starting from the front un-snap the silver/grey body part of the scanner. The scanner lock on the back left side will be part of this.</li>

<li>When you have it off some amount you will need to unplug the connector on the front left of the scanner.</li>

</ol>

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...