Polaroids

My question has two parts:

1. I have a medium format camera with a polaroid back as well as a 4x5

polaroid back to fit my medium format camera. Which polaroid back will be more

cost effective to use? I don't own a 4x5.

I use black and white type 664 for the first back, but I don't know what kind

to buy for the 4x5 back so I can't compare prices.

2. What type of polaroid will give me both a negative and a positive image?

Thanks for your help,

JC

The Polaroid web site will help you with the film selection. Websites like B&H photo, Calumet, Freestyle will give you prices to compare. The question you pos eneeds more information - what type of 4x5 back do you have - there were several made over the years, some take pack film and others take sheet film. Type 55 is the positive/negative film you ask about.

Just remember one thing, Jared... all Polaroid is very expensive anymore. The T-55 is running around $85 for 20 sheets; the rest of the sheet film is around $50 - 60 if my memory serves me. I used to use Polaroid sheet film for experimenting. Then only for proofing "critical" shots. It has become so expensive that I shoot it only on rare occasion anymore.

With a MF camera you'll likely be disappointed, however. The Polaroid will still only be 6x6 or 6x7 (whatever your camera format is) at best.

I have real mixed feelings about Polaroid and their product. On one hand I LOVE them; on the other hand I want to see them stay solvent and keep making it; and on the third hand, I don't buy their product anymore. I'm probably part of the problem rather than being part of the solution.

Prices vary over time, but at one point it was as cheap to shoot test shots with my 4x5 as it was for my Hasselblad polaroid back. Also, keep an eye out for Fuji instant film. I haven't priced it lately, but it might be worth knowing about. I shoot a lot of Type 55 in a 4x5 back and love it!